Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Myself and some friends went to Venice this past weekend. But. It didn’t go well at all. I don’t post on here a lot. Just read. But. I thought it would be helpful to spread the word about this particular charter. Home run charters. This is the post I left them.

Booked a 12 hour charter 7/21. They brought us back after 9 hours 45 mins. For no reason. Was told all tuna wahoo mahi and swords were 80 miles out. The other charter beside them. Came back with tuna sword and mahi. As did 2 other boats that came back after a 10 hour charter. I asked them how far they went out. Was told 30 miles. We went 27 miles out. Came back with red and mangrove snapper. None of us even touched a rod till almost noon. Captain either lied or didn’t know what he was doing. We didn’t go to Venice to catch snapper.

Also. The food was horrible. It was all microwaved. The lunch sandwich had 1 piece of deli meat. The eggs were dry. Microwaved potatoes.

There was so much potential with this trip to Venice. But HRC failed miserably. Use another fishing charter. Anyone but home run charters. They don’t care. Just about the $$$$. We spent $4300. And came away with bad memories and fish I can catch 2 miles out. Anywhere. Not the tuna mahi or swordfish that we were so looking forward to catching. And yes. There were lots of other charters catching them.

Also. Their other boat. Came back in. Same time as us. Same catch. Paid for 12 hours. Got less than 10.

Follow up....I spoke with Derek. He told me he was the media director for HRC. he assured me the owner would contact me. I’m yet to hear back from anyone.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
That's a shame. Different feeling when you know they gave it their best shot. Hopefully something good comes out of this for you's.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Which captain did you fish with?

I met the owner a few months back and he was a fantastic guy. You should contact them and let them know you are dissatisfied.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I won't mention a name but--

I fished with several friends with an inshore guy out of Venice. The guide caught 80% of the fish. He always got and took the first shot. I was last to cast and I really sucked hind tit.

I didn't fish when I had a charter unless I was asked to.

Do yourself a favor and book with Eddie Burger. When we fish for Tuna, we catch Tuna, same for Wahoo and Swordfish(although I never landed a single Swordfish in my 77 years. I've hooked several, passing off the rod a couple of times and losing a really big fish after more than 5 hours. Still, that is the one fish I'd like to catch but can't afford it.

·
Super Moderator
19,826 Posts
I fished with several friends with an inshore guy out of Venice. The guide caught 80% of the fish. He always got and took the first shot. I was last to cast and I really sucked hind tit.

I didn't fish when I had a charter unless I was asked to.

Do yourself a favor and book with Eddie Burger. When we fish for Tuna, we catch Tuna, same for Wahoo and Swordfish(although I never landed a single Swordfish in my 77 years. I've hooked several, passing off the rod a couple of times and losing a really big fish after more than 5 hours. Still, that is the one fish I'd like to catch but can't afford it.

Eddie Burger is the man over there. When' spending that kinda money research is key. You’ll see amazing reviews of Eddie on here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The $4300 included a room at the marina for 2 nites as well as food for 5 people. They were supposed to cook for us. It was advertised as “great”.
Elli was their ‘cook’. All she did was press the minute button then press start.

It’s not really the money that I’m pissed about. It’s the time. The effort(our effort not theirs) and the overall let down from home run charters.

This wasn’t my first charter. I’ve done close to a dozen. But. This charter was probably the one that I looked forward to more than any of the others. I was like a kid on Christmas morning.

Home run charters just flat out sucked azz.

We are going back. I’m pretty sure I know who I will use. And they have a fleet of Freeman’s.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I fished with several friends with an inshore guy out of Venice. The guide caught 80% of the fish. He always got and took the first shot.
I've had groups like this, if I didn't cast, and set the hook, nothing happened except twisted lines, lures/baits hitting the side of the boat. reeling the reel in the wrong direction and the handle coming off the reel.... you know, hook the fish and let the folks fight them.

had a fella a couple weeks ago cast and threw the rod and reel int he water... there are folks that need help like the above.....

to bad about HRC.... does that stand for Hillary Rodham Clinton?

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Hey Jim--

All of the guys on the charter I mentioned knew the ropes. They fished with me more than a few times and were the kind of customers that a guy treasures. When I had any of the ""Okie" crew, I went several extra miles to assure they'd re-book. I was really blessed to have that crew. They were my all-time best tippers too. Since I retired they've invited me on trips to Canada, multiple trips to Venice and once for a week in Panama. It doesn't get any better for a retiree.

I no longer have a boat nor can I afford one. If I still had a boat, you can bet, my "Okie" crew members would have a standing invitation.

Now that I no longer have a kayak, I bank fish occasionally when I run out of eating fish. I can always catch a few Redfish and Snook. When I want to relax, I pick up a fly rod and launch my 11 foot Johnsen skiff. Redfish and Snook are my favorites these days now that Tarpon are way too much work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thought I recognized the name so did some investigating back home with a knowledgeable forum........sounds like you just had an anomaly of an experience, albeit one that never should have happened, no excuses.

Didn't have anyone say anything bad about them at all.

Woody was mentioned a number of times as being a great captain.

Pittman at Fish Venice got high praise as well.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts