Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
They're great reels! They're compact but powerful and hold A LOT of braid for their size! I had an SX on a jigging rod for a while, the combo was about the same size as a round bait casting bass rig but I caught a lot of snapper, grouper, kings, and AJs on it. Ended up having to sell it to pay some bills in grad school. Also had a JX for a while and let me tell you that was a beastly powerful reel. I gave that to my brother when he was stationed in Hawaii. He's caught tuna, mahi, wahoo, all kinds of stuff on it. He got laughed at the first time he brought it on a charter boat out there but by the end of the day he was still cranking em in standing up when everyone else was dog-tired using the fighting chair.

My only complaint with them is the lack of instant anti-reverse, I mostly stick with my gold trinidads. However, if that's something that won't bother you, then go for it!

Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my first Avet in March and used it throughout the summer for surf shark fishing. I got the MXL MC (in pink) and couldn't be happier. It casts amazing (i don't kayak my baits out), drag is smooth as hell, it's light, and it's STRONG. I plan on adding another one to the collection this winter ..

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,904 Posts
My boss for the lure company I work for let me borrow an MXJ MC 2-speed model for a few months back this spring. Really solid, powerful reel with crazy line capacity, great castability, & amazing drag. You can't go wromg with an Avet. Haven't serviced one myself yet but I've heard that's not too difficult either.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Own 4 and couldn't be more please . If fact plan on getting 4 more here soon.The only reel better would have to be my Penn torques.JMO
What model would i need?Iwould be useing it for snapper and grouper fishing in the bay and 20 to 50 pound catfish in the river.I would be using braid most likely 80#.

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,067 Posts
You would need one of the larger Avet's for over 20 lbs. of drag. All of the smaller ones run a little over 15 lbs. all day without any damage. I have a few but don't remember the names. 20 lbs. is allot of drag. If you put a 20 lb. weight on the end of your line and pick it up you will see.

You can get the Omoto reel that has the AR bearing and back up anti-reverse dog. They are almost identical in construction.

Attachments

·
OCD Reel Service/Repair
6,067 Posts
My bad..

The reel shown is the Altas Kona not Omoto..!! If you buy the Kona reel with the AR bearing only I have the parts to add the back up dog as shown above. This is what I did to mine. You can buy them this way but they charge more.

I will take some pictures of the Avet reel that I think would work best for you and 80 lb. test line.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My MXL has handled sharks up to 250lbs with ease. MSRP on the MXL isn't bad either ..

In my opinion, the MXL's size makes it perfect for casting (if you intend to cast). Once you get to the larger Avet's casting might be a bit more difficult.

·
Registered
870 Posts
IMO, the Avet's are not the best for grouper fishing but are fantastic for snapper. Grouper you really need a lower gear ratio and heavier glass rods to literally winch them up before they go in the hole. Avet's are fantastic small, lightweight, above average drag, and high gear ratio jigging type rods. I am talking about the regular reels here.

On the other hand, an Avet JX 6/3 MC Raptor Reel is a bad to the bone reel for AJ's or grouper but is also $400+.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I've got a Avet HXJ 5/2 MC Raptor Reel on a F-series Trevala xl heavy for jigging. Haven't been out gunned yet. Heading to Ram Powell Sunday to put her to the test! Damn thing looks like a big ass baitcaster but she holds a ton of 80 lbs boat braid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts