Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since October 24th I killed a bull elk and three does so I have been pondering the idea of trying to get a buck kill with my bow. Of course there is that "What if that 100"+ buck steps outside bow range" in the back of my mind. So I am kind of curious, during the rut, what has been y'alls average yardage?

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Agreed with the above. I dont sit much open stuff so close or I cant see it anyhow.

Most of the bucks I have killed have been with a bow so, inside of 40 for the average for sure. The ones I have killed with a rifle have been pretty close including a few that have been straight down or close to it.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
18yrds is my bow feeder..... then 60 or 80 for the gun feeder, both these have ladder stands 30 yrds , but hard for me to get out of the computer chair on the open porch in the shooting house :LOL:

Plant Building Natural environment Tree Botany

Reactions: DLo

·
Super Moderator
13,378 Posts
These are the last 5 bucks I've killed.

250yds ish... Kentucky soybean field, .308win
153yds... Blackwater, muzzleloader
145yds... Blackwater, .308win
40yds... Blackwater, .308win
30yds... Blackwater, .308win

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Bearded Brotula
14,512 Posts
Last two my wife killed were right in front of her. She used a Mercedes. Hunting is expensive with her.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The 2 shooter bucks I’ve seen this yr were well inside bow range. I screwed up both opportunities. I’m hoping to get back in the stand when I leave OB tomorrow. I have shot 1 deer with a rifle in the past 15 yrs. He was a 130” 9 on a corn feeder in TX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My last 5 deer were all inside 100 yards. The farthest one away was probably 90 and Id say the rest were between 40-60. The longest shot I’ve ever attempted was 253 yards at a running doe and I folded her up. I picked a good time to be lucky!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Since October 24th I killed a bull elk and three does so I have been pondering the idea of trying to get a buck kill with my bow. Of course there is that "What if that 100"+ buck steps outside bow range" in the back of my mind. So I am kind of curious, during the rut, what has been y'alls average.

You really cant judge your situation by somebody else's. Type of land determines everything. I'd say since you mostly hunt public land its gonna vary big time. I'd bet the average person that hunts Greenfields makes 60 to 80 yr shots on average.

·
Registered
6,875 Posts
where we hunt (gun) usually inside of 100 yards.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts