Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions or comments regarding an Autopilot for a 23' boat? I'm looking to add one to help me while trolling. It wouldcertainly make my wife happy.I do not expect one to maintain course while running in the gulf. The TR-1 Gladiator looks like a very good auto, but I'm not inclined to spend close to $4000.00 for one. I have noticed that Raymarine has a SmartPilot series of autopilots starting around $1000.00. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
I could be wrong but I don't think the TR-1 is $4K for a single engine set up. $4K is the average cost for just about alltwin outboards boats. Most range in the $1-1.5 for single engine outboards.

I really like the features of the TR-1 over all the rest and we have been talking with them regarding the CH team boat since last March. I've used several types on several different boats and personally have a Raymarine on the Luhrs that I installed last year.

I don't really have any experience to offer you on a single engine setup though.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
I'd give Tony Blanton a call, aka, voodoo lounge. He is the king of electronics, dependable and reasonable...380-1996...Edgewater Marine!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,261 Posts
I have the smartpilot plus on mine(I/O boat though)and am very happy with it. Haven't had any trouble trolling with it in the gulf once you get used to how the sensativity levels works in differant sea conditions. It did wig out once and had a mind of its own,but I think that was a connection issue.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The Raymarine Smart pilot is an economical and dependable unit. I have installed several with reliable results.

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,215 Posts
I've got a Raymarine on my 22' C-Hawk, and love it. I did have to send the "brain box" back to Raymarine, it was repaired under warranty. The instructions are a bit hard for a mentally challenged person like me to understand, but I muddled through them. :banghead

The auto pilot takes a lot of work out of a long trip. Going 5-7 knots, my autopilot will take me directly over the reef I program in on my gps. :clap Really Cool.

Sea-r-cy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts