Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iput inat the Marquis Basin launch and fished crankbaits and Storm plastic swim lures around the railroad bridge targeting hybrid bass. I had one fish on a Storm shad for a few seconds right by the old rotten pilings on the west bank of the R.R. bridge, it ran hard under my boat and got off. I didn't have ay other hits, though I was marking a lot fish on the depthfinder, they were suspended near the bottom in 20' on the EDGE of the holes, I didn't mark anything down in the bottom of the holes.The water temp was 45 degrees in Blackwater River and it was the same story at several other holes wherechannels converge. There were dead mullet floating and on the bottom everywhere. I did find a few spots where the water warmed all the way up to 54 degrees where the channels meet up with the grass flats just north of the I-10 bridge where I found some schools of live mullet. My next trip will be to my favorite spot, Bayou Fundy!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did you get to try in front of the Milton Boardwalk? I've marked a good amount of fish there on the edge in front of the boardwalk but, I've never tried to catch em.... Seen reports of others catching em...

I saw a tarpon jump out of the water, justdownriver from the the railroad bridge,right near those old big pilings / turnstyles / left over footers? earlier this year, it was cool.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I tried along front of the board walk as well, the water was very clear and you can see lots of old piling sticking up from the bottom. Are you sure it was a tarpon you saw, there are gulf sturgeon that jump in that area frequently!

·
Registered
869 Posts
It could've been a sturgeon.... It was whitish colored body, looked almost silverish, was about 4 foot long.... and jumped clear out of the water by about 2 feet.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>On those wipers hanging on the edge, depending on the depth, try a 1oz. bucktail with a 3"-4" shad. Or a skin-on strip of any fish. A stinger hook doesn't hurt.

·
Valued Member
4,178 Posts
No... if u want the hybrids in blackwater, throw them old lures out the window! Get u a slip rig, a bober put ur stoper at about 20feet..3 small plitshots, and u wanna use the smallest hook u can getaway with, then get u some small to medium live shrimp, and work in between the milton bridge and the trustle...good luck I always do

1 - 6 of 6 Posts