Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a while back, someone was talking about AT&T's fiber service for cable/ph/internet and i believe the service was in p'cola? just curious if it is still owrth it, and if anyone knows when it might reach Ft. Walton? Might be interested in changing when/if it arrives from Cox.........thanks.:letsdrink

·
Registered
778 Posts
I just got it a week ago and so far so good. I got the three megs plan and it did double my download speed. Thirty eight bucks a month for the internet and thirty five for the phone. Don't watch tv anymore so I didn't pick up the Digital TV. For just another five bucks you can go to six megs. I stayed away from Cox because I had problems with them in the past. Man was I happy when AT&T came into my neighborhood! They waived the installation fee which really made it a great deal.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think you're talking about AT&T U-Verse. It's an unbelievable product. My friend has it (not available in my neighborhood yet). It combines your phone, internet and TV all in one line. You can control your DVR from up to 4 rooms, the HD signal is as good or better than anyone else and the channel selection is second to none.

If you can't tell, I'm dying for it to get to my house.

I signed up for an update if/when it reaches my side of town. Here's the link.

http://www.att.com/u-verse/

- Click on "check availability"

·
Registered
652 Posts
I've had the AT&T Uverse service since October 2009 and have mixed feelings about it. As far as the services they offer, its fantastic. I have yet to have a full month without problems though. I have lost tv and cable service a few times and once it was a few days before it got restored. When I called customer service, there were three times I had to hang up because the service rep had some foriegn accent that was so god-awful I could barely tell it was English. When I finally got someone I could understand, they listened to my problems then told me that I could turn to channel 4 hundred something for troubleshooting or go to ATT.com for online tech support. It took me 20 minutes to explain to that jackass the difficulties in doing that when I had no cable or internet service. The customer service people are very nice, it just seems that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. I have had many other problems with their customer service, but frankly that would be a long, boring read for this forum. Last week they had me so mad I almost went back to Coxcable. When it works, its great though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Uverse is a pretty good service and priced competively, but there still a lot of bugs to be worked out. I am afraid that the customer service centers are not going to get any better. We are going thru layoffs every quarter. Thereare two 411 centers one in Fl and one in Gathat will be closed this month. That is 200 people that could be taking customer service calls here in the USA but the new at&t 2.0 would rather lay off workers here in the USA and send their jobs overseas. What the hellcan you do.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I have had the phone/internet/tv package since last sept/oct.. and very happy so far.. very few issues, to date and the longest only lasted for about how long it took me to figure out what number to call..

rich

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've known several people around the country that have the u-verse service and it is pretty sweet. The funny thing about getting fiber (and by the way there are lines running all that way) is they are barely letting you even tap it. 3mb up and down is a pretty water downed version. I know some of the companies slowly expanding it all around OBA and Gulf shores as well as fort morgan and some in pensacola and navarre and its only the beginning. Try 1 gb up and down. Thats easily done over fiber. Think about that. Its data literally at the speed of light. Only problem is it isnew technology so it will take a while to work out all the bugs and make the old technology like fax machines catch up to new technology.

·
Registered
429 Posts
According to their website you can get a 24 Mbps download speed. That is very competitive with what others are offering. I am currently using AT&T DSL and I am on the highest plan they offer which is the 6 Mbps plan. I look forward to this new service being available.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
tofer (2/24/2010)I've known several people around the country that have the u-verse service and it is pretty sweet. The funny thing about getting fiber (and by the way there are lines running all that way) is they are barely letting you even tap it. 3mb up and down is a pretty water downed version. I know some of the companies slowly expanding it all around OBA and Gulf shores as well as fort morgan and some in pensacola and navarre and its only the beginning. Try 1 gb up and down. Thats easily done over fiber. Think about that. Its data literally at the speed of light. Only problem is it isnew technology so it will take a while to work out all the bugs and make the old technology like fax machines catch up to new technology.

Uverse from what I understand is not fiber to your house. Ethernet part of the way. Can only do so much on ethernet.

FIOS is fiber to the house. I wish Verizon were local, I would be signing up for FIOS asap.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah brad...i called at&t too and they said no service around here. They also said it's probably due to an entity having a monoploy on the area. wonder who that could be. At any rate, We've got 3 high def boxes, 2 with DVR's. with ph and internet it's costly. seems that at&t uverse might be more economical with better quality. guess the homework continues so i can have better service at a cheaper price so i can put more gas in the boat!

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
I was told by a AT&T worker that the fiber only ran to the end of the street. From there down the street and then to the house was regular copperphone line. That means the further down the street the quality would decrease somewhat.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
ammolance (2/24/2010)yeah brad...i called at&t too and they said no service around here. They also said it's probably due to an entity having a monoploy on the area. wonder who that could be. At any rate, We've got 3 high def boxes, 2 with DVR's. with ph and internet it's costly. seems that at&t uverse might be more economical with better quality. guess the homework continues so i can have better service at a cheaper price so i can put more gas in the boat!

How exactly does someone have a monopoly on the area? Whoever you had on the phone from AT&T was feeding you full of horseshit.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
sealark (2/25/2010)I was told by a AT&T worker that the fiber only ran to the end of the street. From there down the street and then to the house was regular copperphone line. That means the further down the street the quality would decrease somewhat.

Which is why it will never be as fast as cable or fiber.

You can only squeeze so much over a twisted pair DSL line, and it degrades with distance, like sealark says.

Ive got 12MB/s with cox, love it. And I can go higher if I wanted too

·
Registered
65 Posts
Typically, you're not going to get 1 gbps connectivity with U-Verse. They're not utilizing the fiber in a manner that would allow for line speed. They're deploying, in most places, FTTN which extends to the RT or 'Node'. It breaks out from there over copper to your house via a DSLAM (utilizing VDSL2 technologies), which under ideal conditions will allow only 32Mbps down and 5 Mbps up.

Word has it that AT&T is doing some FTT{H|P} which would be fiber straight to your house, like FiOS, but its not widely deployed.

Best bet around here for 1G connectivity is petitioning Google to use us as their testbed :) http://www.google.com/appserve/fiberrfi/public/options

·
Registered
147 Posts
They also said it's probably due to an entity having a monoploy on the area.

This is totally false. There are statewide franchises that allow any oprerator to come in and provide service. What's happening is that AT&T is cherry picking where they want to provide their services. I don't see them offering services in Brownsville but they sure offer it in East Hill!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well, i was only as good as the info given to me by the guy on the other end of the phone. Not knowing much about the cable/home entertainment service industry, i had to believe the monopoly thing. At any rate, we'll see if it comes to Ft. Walton......

·
Registered
159 Posts
ammolance (2/25/2010)well, i was only as good as the info given to me by the guy on the other end of the phone. Not knowing much about the cable/home entertainment service industry, i had to believe the monopoly thing. At any rate, we'll see if it comes to Ft. Walton......
Well its not quite a monopoly but the main fiber pipe is owned by individual companies that get the funding and actually lay it. So its a monopoly on the one line because they paid for it and installed it, but others are still free to do their own granted permits, and local governments allowing. Whats confusing is generally the ISP provided is not the same as the owners of the pipe and general services. The owner of the fiber may or may not decide to be a service provider too. Usually the way it works is so and so company (EG ATT, Century Tel, Fios) leases the rights to use part of that pipe owned by another company, then decides how they would like to implement it, and to what degree. There are only a few true companies that provide fiber to the home, a lot are doing a hybrid watered down version over coax and copper limiting services to 6mb, 10, mb, and 30mb services. Its still pretty slowly being implemented due to politics and greed but I sure can't wait to get some decent speed and less compressed HD to my house. The true fiber really knocks your socks off. My father has been working in networking and engineering for 25 years, and on fiber systems for the last 5 and has taught me a bit about it. Its going to be amazing to see the changes true high speed brings.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts