Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have a 110 bed capacity, and as of this morning 8 are available. That puts us at 93% full with a record number of new cases yesterday. Here is a link to the public information. No fake news, just facts. You old farts, please take care.
Hospitals are businesses. The closer to full capacity the more the administrators and doctors are making--especially if you have government funded Covid patients. Ever notice how the census goes down around Christmas---its not because everyone suddenly got well, but because the administrators and doctors want to go on vacation. I do agree us old farts should take care.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
I am not manipulating data, just showing it from the source. So far in this thread, I am the ONLY one to bring data to back up anything I have said. Everything else has been opinion or conspiracy theory. Another record day, alcohol sales suspended sate-wide, mandatory masks in the city of Pensacola, all since this thread started. I desperately want you guys to be right, but look at the numbers starring you in the face.

·
Super Moderator
19,675 Posts
I’m not saying you’re manipulating the data, I’m saying the data is flawed. That’s like me saying there is 2 million people is sick in Florida right now and you’re just assuming it’s due to COVID.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Na man, it's just showing that the ICUs are almost full, nothing else. It's others that have speculated to the reason. I have friends that work at all 3 of the big hospitals and I have calls into them right now to get an idea of what the average census is of ICU capacity in non-covid times. I will report back what I find honestly and without embellishment.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’m not saying you’re manipulating the data, I’m saying the data is flawed. That’s like me saying there is 2 million people is sick in Florida right now and you’re just assuming it’s due to COVID.
How is the data flawed? The data is the data...how many ICU beds we have and how many are occupied. Simple math. I think the point is, it wouldn't take much to fill the ICUs up. Expanding the ICU capacity is not as simple as adding some beds. Further, you have to have the staff to handle additional ICU patients. Every bed that gets taken up by a Covid patient, is one less bed that could be available for someone suffering from a traumatic injury or life-threatening condition. I know many, including myself, are not taking the same precautions we were taking weeks ago. I walked into Joe Patti's on Sunday, and walked right the hell out- folks were shoulder to shoulder almost coming out of the door. I don't personally know if the increases are due to an increase in the spread of the virus or testing- could be one or the other or a combination of the two. What we do know, is that it is out there, and we should all be aware.

We live in a place that is visited by folks from all over the world and country which I think makes our community more susceptible. I know of 3 young adults that tested positive within the last week. I hope everyone stays safe.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I work in a hospital, most of the hospitals have Covid floors that have patients not sick enough for ICU. The ICU has a mixed bag of patients most of the time. They will segregate the Covid from the non-Covid just to keep the spread down and cross-contamination from equipment use. When we reached capacity in the ICU, we moved patients and vents to an area more suitable to handle them. So for the ICU to be 90+% occupied means little in the Covid world these days. You worry more about staff to take care of these folks and empty beds to put them. As the numbers go up, you will see a major need for more nurses.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Dhowell, thanks for that real-world post, and be-safe. I have heard from two friends. One a Anesthesiologist and one is an inpatient pharmacists. They both said ICUs typically run around 60% capacity at any give time, pre-covid.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I know of 3 young adults that tested positive within the last week. I hope everyone stays safe.
And their symptoms were? The "BIG SPIKE" that the left will be pushing is because testing is available to everyone now and a great many who test positive would never have known they had it otherwise.

·
Registered
14 Posts
And their symptoms were? The "BIG SPIKE" that the left will be pushing is because testing is available to everyone now and a great many who test positive would never have known they had it otherwise.
Flu-like symptoms...that is why they got tested.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
My son is a pharmacist who has been mandated to be a tester and he says most are just testing because they can.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I am not manipulating data, just showing it from the source. So far in this thread, I am the ONLY one to bring data to back up anything I have said. Everything else has been opinion or conspiracy theory. Another record day, alcohol sales suspended sate-wide, mandatory masks in the city of Pensacola, all since this thread started. I desperately want you guys to be right, but look at the numbers starring you in the face.
No way Florida has suspended alcohol sales. More fake news.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Anyone can make statistics work in their favor when you leave out key details. I still go to Walmart everyday and I still refuse to wear as mask. If you feel safer by doing so by all means go for it. A little common sense goes along way in not being a sheep.
finally, somebody made some sense. i concur 100%
jack

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
How is the data flawed? The data is the data...how many ICU beds we have and how many are occupied. Simple math. I think the point is, it wouldn't take much to fill the ICUs up. Expanding the ICU capacity is not as simple as adding some beds. Further, you have to have the staff to handle additional ICU patients. Every bed that gets taken up by a Covid patient, is one less bed that could be available for someone suffering from a traumatic injury or life-threatening condition. I know many, including myself, are not taking the same precautions we were taking weeks ago. I walked into Joe Patti's on Sunday, and walked right the hell out- folks were shoulder to shoulder almost coming out of the door. I don't personally know if the increases are due to an increase in the spread of the virus or testing- could be one or the other or a combination of the two. What we do know, is that it is out there, and we should all be aware.

We live in a place that is visited by folks from all over the world and country which I think makes our community more susceptible. I know of 3 young adults that tested positive within the last week. I hope everyone stays safe.
How is the data flawed? That's easy. It's flawed because it is incomplete.

What % of the ICU beds are filled with COVID19 patients that the COVID19 is the reason why they are in ICU...not people who have something like congestive heart failure and a minor case of COVID-19? How many beds are filled with people whose "elective" procedures ( cancer surgery, heart problems, diabetes treatment, etc) were cancelled for 3 months because doctors seemed to think COVID19 was the ONLY medical condition that could kill someone? How many are ODs, car wrecks, gunshot wounds?

21 - 40 of 122 Posts