Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I caught a small blacktip last year surf fishing....

He put up a fight....

After seeing that 590# Mako that was caught at the pass recently I have been thinking about going after them myself..

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
A lot of people frown on shark fishing but it really can be a lot of fun especially from the surf. They are a good alternative when its too rough to go offshore; they're big and reliable.

That mako was 609# by the way:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
tunapopper (1/6/2008)A lot of people frown on shark fishing but it really can be a lot of fun especially from the surf. They are a good alternative when its too rough to go offshore; they're big and reliable.

That mako was 609# by the way:)

609?

Good lawd thats a big un...

I must have heard wrong...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
is he talkin about the same mako? yeah i read the report of that mako like earlier today, which made me wanna go even more :(

i guess i'll go fishin for sharks soon.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what's the tackle you'd use? how heavy would your leader need to be? i am a fan of light tackle(17lb or less, and 17 is generally big for me, i normally go aobut 12 lb), would i be able to catch em on that?

also, how do you prepare them to eat?

·
Registered
374 Posts
The wife and I shark fish all the time during the summer in the bay. Last year we caught well over 200 sharks, most spinners and black tips. Biggest was 110#. all caught on spinning and light King size conventional using 20 to 30 # line.

·
Registered
10,046 Posts
be sure to "release the fighter" after you catch them. they are a top preditor,and are very valuable to the ecosystem. Please don't kill them just to kill them. I have seen sharks killed just because they took the bait.

Last summer I saw a "finned" 5 Ft. bull shark rotting in shallow water in Perdido bay. Was such a waste.

Be careful with them.

Just a thought, no flaming required.

Jim

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I agree with not killing them unless you are going to eat them. I wont kill for a set of jaws.....only kill if you intend on eating it

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i don't kill things just to have a trophy, and i hate people that do that. if something dies, whether its while i am unhooking it or anything like that, you can be sure that i'll eat it, and if i can't eat it, then i'll use it forbait or soemthing...no fish should be waisted.

however...you can also be sure that i'll be keeping the jaws as a trophy on my wall for every shark i eat, and maybe if i catch one big enough, i'll have a model of it done.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i dunno, i'll check the regulations before i go, i also don't know which ones to keep or anything. anybody that can recommend any good local shark guides or something like that would be great. i wanna go eventually, but haven't been able to go the past 2 times i've planned cuz not having a job and money means a super tight budget, but when i can afford it i'd def be willing to buy the bait and everything for somebody to come with me.

·
Registered
261 Posts
ratzila (1/7/2008)Don't they have to be 54" TL to keep?
What's 'they'? If you mean sharks in general then no. There are limits on some and there are some permits required for others. I only kill 3-5' bulls and blacktips for meat, obviously blacktip prefered. I'd also eat a Mako if I ever caught one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you are my hero:bowdown

how do you prepare said fish nuggets?

and how would one like that pull on 15 lb tackle?

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Steak the shark out, trim all red meat off it. Cut it up into ice cube size chunks, and soak them in a stron solution of lemon juice and water for a coule hours or so. (use either real squeeze lemons, or Minute Made frozen lemon juice from the frozen juice concentrate. DO NOT use RealLemon brand or similar. All thesodiumbisulfate taste nasty). Thenbread with Zatarans Cornmeal Fishfry with a few dashes of Lawrys seasoning in the breading. Deep fry, and dip in sweet and sour, bbq, tarter, coctail, or my personal favorite with I think everybody liked the best out at Fort Mcree during the Unofficial Shark Tournamnet....Tai Penut Sause!!!!!

Kids love me....think there chicken nuggets!

Heres a pic of the last one me and FenderBender caught at that I got a picture of. (Konz...you got any pics from the tournament one we caught?

Heres a couple more

Me and my son....

And one Zodiac and Curtismo got out with me...

There a riot to catch....and lotsa meals outta one! And truth be told...other than bull reds, its the only thing I can catch on a rod and reel. I cant even catch a jack crevalle when I try!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts