Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ifish the area at bob sikes between the private docks and the shallow flats out there and would like 2 try artificials but have NO experience with them. i fish ultra light for specks n reds and would love 2 be able 2 use the same artificial patterns for both. heard great things about gulp.would like 2 be able 2 use just one size 4 specks n slots 2 or 3 colors or patterns and another for the bulls. suggestions? also what is a good knot 4 braided line?

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
3" gulp shrimp in new penny is a great choice for both specks and reds, along with flounder. since you're fishing by bob sikes stop in at hot spots bait and tackle in gulf breeze. they'll hook you up with all the information you need

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thnx 4 the responses but how do i fish them? are these classified as swim baits or jerk baits? fish fast or slow on the bottom close 2 the bottom sorry but uh derrrrr

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
For Reds get a gold Johnson Sprite 1/2 oz. They love it.

·
Registered
869 Posts
BIGRIGZ (1/18/2010)Pic's worth a 100000000 words!!

Cast it out, wait plenty of time for it to hit the BOTTOM, then experiment with slow-fast retrieve using light-agressive twitches. When you get a hit, make a mental note, whether your jig was closer to the bottom or closer to the topwater? then try to fish the jig in that water column and duplicate the LIGHT or AGRESSIVE jigging action......

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
All of the above are great Can't go wrong with a Gold spoon,3in np gulp shrimp or a Jerk shad,using a 1/8 or 1/4 oz jig head for the gulp or shad or a grub i Like the white or green with fire tail work them on the Bottom by bouncing them along or put them behind a Popping cork, or if you like top water can't go wrong with a Skitterwalk {mullet color} or Red & white,or a Zara Spook I really like the Zara Puppy,As Far as the Line IMOP you need to use a Shock leader for the Braided Line A Blood Knot, Uni Knot,Albright work well.for line to lineFor tieing right to lure a palomarknot Or Improved Clinch knot work for me, Hope this Helps!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thnx red n couldnt agree more have waded all day b4 well several times without a bite and wouldnt rather have been anywhere else. oh and i have had a uni knot slip twice on me. think ill learn a palomar. have heard that topwater is only good 4 specksnreds during the failing light?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
iswim2fish (1/18/2010)thnx red n couldnt agree more have waded all day b4 well several times without a bite and wouldnt rather have been anywhere else. oh and i have had a uni knot slip twice on me. think ill learn a palomar. have heard that topwater is only good 4 specksnreds during the failing light?
It depends on the fish butI have caught trout and reds all day long on top water. It is the best way to fish because of the explosive strikes. It will get your blood pumping for sure.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanx lobster what is a good topwater pattern 4 that area? also can someone tell me when the specksnreds will be back in the flats in this are ( bob sikes )

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
lobsterman (1/18/2010)
iswim2fish (1/18/2010)thnx red n couldnt agree more have waded all day b4 well several times without a bite and wouldnt rather have been anywhere else. oh and i have had a uni knot slip twice on me. think ill learn a palomar. have heard that topwater is only good 4 specksnreds during the failing light?
It depends on the fish butI have caught trout and reds all day long on top water. It is the best way to fish because of the explosive strikes. It will get your blood pumping for sure.
I couldn't agree more about the Topwater Thats really the only way I fish for specks love to see them bust that water ,But for the Big Gator Trout I use Live Bait, iswim2fish yes Most topwater is at first light or late evening But you can get them like Lobsterman said But i have always done that on a Cloudy day, Stop By HHT in Navarre or like Josh said go talk to the Guys at Hot spots we will all help you anyway we Can!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thnx to red and everyone else for helping me out sorry 4 all the q's but hey its all easy if you know it! thnx again 4 all your responses. i have cought all my specks there on pins n fingers can someone tell me when they come back? and where can i catch pins at during the colder months? fingers?

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
Finger mullet are alittle harder to find in colder months but pinfish can be caught in deeper holes. You certainly don't need live bait to catch reds and specks.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have to bring up a bait that is un-tested but I think will be my new favorite lure. Mann's has a bait that I just discovered called a wake bait. I've used it bass fishing a the action is awesome. The gold color screams eat me Mr. Red.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts