Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dang the freaking luck!! Planted a garden; corn, tomatoes, squash, zucchini and a few peppers. Everything did real good coming up, already have some zuc and squash picked. Been picking squash bugs and eggs off daily and haven't taken a good close look at the tomatoes until today. Freakin army worms. Went over each plant and picked or smash any I saw, discarded holed tomatoes. I've been dusting everything with diomataceous earth for two weeks now and they seem to have not been bothered by it in the least. Is my only option now a poison of some sort?? Really trying not to put anything on the plants that shouldn't end up in your mouth but I dont want to feed the garden to the worms either...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
Sometimes you just gotta spray everything with talstar. Kill the insects. Wash good before consuming.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
I had to use a little Seven Dust last week. If the soap idea doesn't work, you may have to resort to this.

·
Registered
14,709 Posts
Sevin dust is pretty mild but works. I think I have squash borers so just started dusting, may be too late. Malathion spray works too. embrace the science!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I have the same problem on my mater plants. but mine are horned worms. spent this weekend picking and squashing. I have ordered Thuricide BT. Supposed to combat the leaf eating pests.

·
Registered
9,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got some stuff from hall's, has BT in it, not a "poison" per say but lots swear by it. I covered everything yesterday (liquid) so I'll keep an eye on things. I dont like what I read about sevin dust and waiting this many days or that many days before you eat this or that...long and short, its poison and I dont want to eat it lol.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've used BT for a couple years now. The way I understand it, BT is an organism that only attacks worms / caterpillars. It works well and is bee friendly. They showed up here in early April. I sprayed once and still had a few. Waited a week and sprayed again. Been gtg since.

·
Registered
625 Posts
amazing how fast a tomato plant can be eaten by pest. I use seven dust liquid and have a little top pump sprayer that gets under the leaves well , gets in there where the dust is hard to place. the birds are another pest but have 1000' of old mullet net for them and if there is one way in they will find it. love giving them a good talking to before releasing the ones i catch.

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
I got some stuff from hall's, has BT in it, not a "poison" per say but lots swear by it. I covered everything yesterday (liquid) so I'll keep an eye on things. I dont like what I read about sevin dust and waiting this many days or that many days before you eat this or that...long and short, its poison and I dont want to eat it lol.

How has it worked for you so far?

·
Registered
6,508 Posts
So I decided to try this stuff. So far this is the worst year I've ever had for worms. This b.t. stuff smells like cat piss. For me I ain't seeing the results I want. Still losing to many tomatoes. I have used dawn many, many, times with great results. Not so much this year, I seemed to be a touch to hot as it started to burn up my leaves. Ended up rinsing all my plants off and sprayed I wouldn't get a fungus. Gave them a shot of my fertilizer treatment and all was well in a few days. Pulled some tomatoes today and still had to throw 4 away. Guess I'm gonna punch them in the mouth with some talstar tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I received the Thuricide BT I ordered online. Mixed and sprayed my plants and so far all is good. No more horned worms and nothing seems to be eating my leaves. I`ve treated my plants twice so far. I`ll keep this stuff around as part of my arsenal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts