Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
should college student who hold a valid concealed permit beable to carry while on campus?

just saw on TV where college students in texas are pushing to be allowed to carry while on campus. With the VT tragedy and others that have happened in the past I'd think it would be a good idea

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I could see where it could help prevent such instances as the VT shooting from happening. Then again having a room full ofpeople packing guns could blow up to be a bad thing. Or some young gun trying to be a hero, and hitting someone by accident in their cross fire.

However if I knew that people may have a gun on them, I'd keep my mouth shut...lol

I voted yes but I think there would have to be some very strong guidlines.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ray you have to remember there are guidlines to obtaining a permit....21 years old, background checks, no felonies of course, no domestic violence, no mental illness,etc. so the age restriction and the background checks will keep about 75% of the students from getting them.....then i'd say another 20% won't even care to have one....so now you have 5% of the student body who is carrying, hardly a campusfull of cowboys

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it just pisses me off that the bad guys are walking around on campus armed, but the good law abiding citizens who have concealed carry permits are forced to be unarmed and victims

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
biggamefishr (1/15/2008)ray you have to remember there are guidlines to obtaining a permit....21 years old, background checks, no felonies of course, no domestic violence, no mental illness,etc. so the age restriction and the background checks will keep about 75% of the students from getting them.....then i'd say another 20% won't even care to have one....so now you have 5% of the student body who is carrying, hardly a campusfull of cowboys
Yeah I wasn't familiar with the requirements,and you do have a point. There are strong pros and cons.....now I kinda want to get a permit....ha!

4,058 Posts
I am a college student, and I am telling you, between going and coming from the farm every single day I have class, I am usually packing. And this doesn't mean being stupid about it while sitting next to my roommate and being like "check this shit out." And don't even get me started on how many more guns are kept in my truck...Most people can't assume the responsibility. As far as I am concerned, and I'm trying to be both conservative and selective with my words here, only southern farm boys should be allowed to carry. WE actually use our guns to finish off game, destroy rattlesnakes, etc. etc. Half the people carrying guns in the streets don't even take their firearms to a range to shoot. What the hell do they need a gun for? It's ridiculous. Too much rap music (I LOVE rap, by the way) and MTV showin them they "need" to have a pistol tobe considered badass or demand respect.

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Had a discussion about this very topic and what happened at VT a few days ago. Although I don't have children in school anymore I'd like to think that I would feel the same way if I in fact I did.

I would like to thinkthat if someone off his rocker started shooting, that someone could stop him before he shot 5-10-20- or 30 people before he met his maker. I also know that if I had a child in that position he/she wouldbe taking a chance of being shot by a defender. A dead child is a dead child no matter who the shooter is, but I have two train of thoughts on this. First is that a crazy shooter will take more down then a stray from a defender. Second, I'd think that students being armed would/might give more thought to the guy that wants to go ballistic. Really is a hard call, but in this day and age...I carry myself.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
biggamefishr (1/15/2008)ray you have to remember there are guidlines to obtaining a permit....21 years old, background checks, no felonies of course, no domestic violence, no mental illness,etc. so the age restriction and the background checks will keep about 75% of the students from getting them.....then i'd say another 20% won't even care to have one....so now you have 5% of the student body who is carrying, hardly a campusfull of cowboys
Hell YES!!! if they have a permit, they should be able to carry....:clap

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am for concealed carry permit owners being able to carry on campus. I have had this discussion with several friends here at the University of Florida and all the people who are against it give me the "stray bullet/crossfire" answer or the "a class full of guns" answer. Neither of these points make much sense to me. To the stray bullet/crossfire answer, I agree with Tuna Man and I would like to add a few things to what he said. What happens as soon as a gun goes off, and what were all the VT students doing when they were shot? Laying on the ground. My guess is that there won't be even close to as many fatalities much less injuries from someone's returning fire, defending a group of people, as from an attacker going on shooting freely. As far as the "class full of guns" answer, We are only talking about people who have a concealed permit and are probably carrying a gun RIGHT NOW. They aren't running around like the wild west movies calling out duels. They are carrying their guns around town legally, then leaving them at their houses to go to class, then picking them up after class and carrying them again. Large groups of people can be seen everyday in the free America with people probably carrying guns and you don't know about it because its CONCEALED. Gun fights don't just break out. Carrying a gun anywhere requires a cool head and common sense, and if you are permitted, I think you should be able to carry on a college campus. :usaflag

Sorry for the length, I'm stuck in Gainesville with no Reds to catch at 3 mile. :)

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
SecondSandbar (1/15/2008)To the stray bullet/crossfire answer, I agree with Tuna Man and I would like to add a few things to what he said. What happens as soon as a gun goes off, and what were all the VT students doing when they were shot? Laying on the ground. My guess is that there won't be even close to as many fatalities much less injuries from someone's returning fire, defending a group of people, as from an attacker going on shooting freely.
I was going to add that but in my own mind I know that's not what happened (kissing the floor). As you know people panic in a situation like that, and run without thinking. I'd bet most that were killed were standing/running. Now if permitted to carry I'm sure there would be more floor huggers just by the fact that it would come to reason that someone will mow down the SOB.

Citizens without arms are subjects. I'd bet that if CC was permitted at that time it never would of happened.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I go to college and i have a permit and i am here to tell you that i will not leave the house with out it. If i froget it i turn around and go back, I wont even go to the gas station right up the road. Toooo many cool guys and tough guys out there this day and half of them are on drugs. Really screw em. Well thats my 2 cents,

Yess Not Yess HELL YESSSSSS.....

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
everyone should carry! that way the bad guys will know they have a good chance of being killed where they stand when they try to do something stupid. if the victim does not get them the next person near call kill them. do not shoot to wound. shoot to kill.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
LITECATCH (1/15/2008)everyone should carry! that way the bad guys will know they have a good chance of being killed where they stand when they try to do something stupid. if the victim does not get them the next person near call kill them. do not shoot to wound. shoot to kill.
I like the way you think.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts