Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not purchased BP gas since the "accident". I will go in BP stations and buy other products, but not gas. Yes I know it's almost impossible not to buy a BP product.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,543 Posts
All you are doing by boycotting BP is if enough people do the same they will not be able to pay for clean up so I believe it is a catch 22 situation.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
And your hurting the local man that owns the gas station. YOU CANNOT BOYCOTT OIL COMPANIES. A huge part of your everyday life is dependant on oil from the gas in your car to the products you use.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The BP station near where I live is the only place that doesn't have Ethanol. So yes i still fuel my boat, lawnmower and RV there. (RV is a toyhauler with a built in fuel station that fuel the generator)

Gonna continue to buy fuel for those items there too until some other station starts supplying fuel without Ethanol.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,618 Posts
Maybe you should find out if that's bp refined gas in their tanks instead of assuming that if it says bp on the sign, it's bp gas. Where's the nearest bp terminal here??????

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Jighead (07/06/2010)I have not purchased BP gas since the "accident". I will go in BP stations and buy other products, but not gas. Yes I know it's almost impossible not to buy a BP product.
I see your point, however Gas is Gas, don't really matter where the Oil comes from, it all gets refined and made into gas and other products as far as I know...... i think it would be almost, if not impossiable to determine if your Gas was refined from BP oil or someone elses?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Got gas the other day at the gas station / store on corner of W Street and Jackson. High test was ethanol free. Price wasn't all that bad either.

·
Registered
941 Posts
BP management on the DWH made costly mistakes affecting lives, the ecology,economy and the way we live. They have openly apologized, commited to make "it right" and seem to be doing all they can to end and clean up this disaster. They do not deserve a boycott.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It would not affect BP at all if every person on this forum never bought another BP product for the rest of their lives. If I am not mistaken they have made as much as 40 billion dollars profit in one year recently.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
So they apologized... Whoopty frick! The mistakes they made are so numerous on just this rig and accident... I know they are a very large company compared to others but their 748 (me thinks I heard that number) violation citations compared to the 2 or 4 for the next highest is going to prove a super bad ratio in comparison... It is this ongoing disregard for rules and precautions that cost us the GOM as we knew it!

I will never buy from BP voluntarily again. As for the local merchant, if he had half the concern we do, he would tell them to come get the signs that are plaguing his bottom line income.

As for BP, I hope they do go under! I am sure that in bankruptcy, the courts will attach more funds for the clean up than they would really spend voluntarily. The amount for fines alone should be enuff to put them in utter distress if not OOB.

Right now they say they will spend what ever is required for cleanup and related mitigation of income losses for those directly affected. They are already at 10X+ the 75 million figure so I suspect sooner or later (likely sooner) they will stop vouluntarily laying out the 12+ million per day and only shell out what is squoze out of their pockets by the gummy-mint.

I am sure some of the gas delivered via Florida Rock & Tank Lines is directly sold by BP to unlabeled (or even brand name for that matter) stations, so I inadvertently do, unfortunately, buy BP gas...
<a href="http://www.floridarockandtanklines.com/history.html">http://www.floridarockandtanklines.com/history.html</a>

Brent

·
Registered
956 Posts
As long as they keep paying what is owed and <span style="text-decoration: underline;">trying to stop the leak and clean clean clean , I will continue to buy as much as I have in the past from them. The second they stop , before it is stopped and cleaned up and payed what is owed, I will stop what I can. As pissed as I am about it, they could tie this up in courts for years to come and try to point blame and take no action. They are assuming most of the responsibility whether they want to or not. So for that I will not change my buying habits.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
One more thing regarding BP and them having the funds required to cleanup the mess...

Did ya'll hear that they told their investors that they would still get the dividend cheques (brits can't spell worth a crap) that they would have gotten if they weren't doing the spending on DAMGAE CONTROL P.R., Half ass cleanup effort and failure proven stopgap measures to mitigate the leak.

How can you send out a profit related dividend check when you cannot possibly show a profit.

One of the statements that even our gummy-mint spews forth is along the lines of "We have the largest cleanup effort in American history with 1,300 vessels involved." Ya'll do realize this number is EVERY vessel they have approved of in their VOO (or whatever it is called) even though there is a very large percentage of these that have even been "activated" drawing income hours even though they haven't been given a task of any sort.

Heck, from personal accounts by PFF'ers trying to launch their boat to go fish, BP boats are taking up the nice slips, their trucks and trailers are clogging the close parking spaces to the ramp even though respectful, intelligent etiquette would lead you to park out in the "nose bleed" section if you ain't launching and pulling out daily...

BP Cna got to hell as far as I am concerned... heck they can take the crude from the slick and leak with them to stoke the fires of hell to do a better job on them.

Brent

·
Registered
311 Posts
BP sold all their gas stations several years ago. A boycott of BP gas stations only hurts the local owner of the station! Also, oil companies exchange gas with each other all the time. If demand falls at BP stations, BP will just sell the gas through other stations and you will never know it.

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
All of the gas in the Escambia and Santa Rosa County area comes from the same downtown Pensacola gasterminal. So there is no use in boycotting anything. It will only hurt the local individual running the station. And at this time in our economy (especially in lew of the spill) we do not want to hurt any local business.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Well, some smart $%%@ BP rep said that "Louisiana is not the only place that sells shrimp"

Well, BP is not the only place that sells gas. I know it affects the store owners, etc. But it is the principle of it.

Like Mitsubishi built the Japaneseplanes that bombed Pearl Harbor,,,

BEWARE LEST WE FORGET,,,,,

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was not calling for a boycott of BP I was just asking. I am choosing not to buy though.

If all the gas comes from the same terminal, BP, Texaco, Cheveron, etc advertises their additives, one station has Vigorate for example. When is the different additives added or is a bunch of marketing bull? Sothe gas in the discount stations the exact same gas as the higher end stations?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts