Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Live Ly's, spanish sardines, sigs, speedos all day long over artificials. Bigger fish and more hookups.

Mono inshore / Braid offshore
But who is more skilled? Lure guys!

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Green Eggs And Ham
10,948 Posts
Sure the lure guy has to have more skill under the same fishing environment. Like fly fishing there is more skill involved indeed.

There is also skill in finding the bait every trip and getting the bait at all areas and depth, working a sabiki and/or throwing a net 8' - 10' - 12'. The part I like about live bait is price = free.

Yes more skill for lure guys. But you can spend a pile of money on lures.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
The part I like about live bait is price = free.

Yes more skill for lure guys. But you can spend a pile of money on lures.
Roger that on lures getting expensive. Just bought a triple jointed lure that uses a photo finish and looks just like a spanish sardine for $20. One mistake or one shark or Flipper grabbing your fish and there goes that money, where using live or dead bait only costs the 7 Strand leader and a treble hook.

Reactions: MackMan

·
Registered
329 Posts
We use both on the ShurKetch and catch nice fish with both. We normally fish out 30 miles or so. Seems we get more fish with live or dead baits, but some of our largest catches have been lures. Problem, as stated before, is that one strike by a shark or King and a lost lure can cost you as much or more than a 5 lb box of sigs. Terry and Skip fish more with lures than the rest of us. Finding the fish is more concerning than type of bait for us!

·
Super Moderator
13,085 Posts
Team live bait here... I love fishing lures, but when I want to win a tournament, or catch the biggest fish possible, live bait beats out lures all day, every day and 2x on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Team live bait here... I love fishing lures, but when I want to win a tournament, or catch the biggest fish possible, live bait beats out lures all day, every day and 2x on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
Hence the greater skill of effective lure fisherman. Live bait just works. Its working for you. Lures gotta be brought to life and made convincing.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts