Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to go out this afternoon but wondering if its too late in the year. Does anyone know if the pelagics are still close to shore?

I could just go to the bay but would really like one more trip in the gulf before things cool down

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Water temps are still good for it. All a matter of whether the bait supply is still there. I heard they haven't been seeing as much ballyhoo off Navarre pier and there has been less reports of sailfish and Dolphin but I would go if I were you. This coming front might be the one to put the last nail in the coffin for the year.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Kings will only get better through out mid November. Six days ago I smashed the dolphin off the beach and it hasnt been that cold. However, I was in a boat and hit many different FADs and only found the fish on one FAD.

I agree with Chris though, this cold front is probably the one thats going to push out the sails and dolphin. Kings will be around still and possibly BFT as they tend to hang around longer as well. Saying that, only a couple BFT have been caught off Navarre this year for some reason.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My son and I fished last Saturday. Anchored in 55' of water due south of pier. Lots of bonito, tons of cutoff's (one rod with 50 lb fluoro leader) and one king almost 35 lbs. Had one big school of small cigs under the boat most of the morning. No dolphin seen. FYI, the most bites were on the 50 lb fluoro. All live baits, biggest king was on a wire trace leader.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Weather is definitely not yak friendly this next week. However, there are fish out there. Went last weekend and caught some really nice fish. Few kings, a 6lb mahi (lost a second) and the biggest spanish Ive ever seen. I thought it was a king till I got it in the yak and it was bigger than one of the kings we caught. Anytime I catch an offshore slam with personal best fish in it, I'd say it was a good day.

I was hoping for a sail or bft, but haven't seen many reports of those, but the kings and spanish are going to be around a bit longer. Over the next few weeks, when the weather permits, Id be out there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I fished about 6h today over at County Pier in PCB because I was in the area and only saw and caught bobos. No bait either. Maybe the red tide is part of the problem and looking at the map, it seems to be occurring in the Pensacola area too.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sometimes the pier reports aren't the best indicators for the yaks. I have been out several times this year and had pretty good days and then heard that the bite on the pier was very slow that same day. Just getting a few hundred yards farther out than the piers can make a huge difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts