Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna get my son a new gun for Christmas. He’s 10 but likes shooting heavier guns. He shoots off sticks exclusively(no free handing yet) but as he gets a bit older I would like him to transition into being able to do so. That being said, I’m not scared of the weight but it is something I am considering.
I have never shot any ARthat impressed me with accuracy. I know they are out there but I have personally never experienced one.
It would be a deer/hog gun.

· Registered
F-250
2 Posts
Gonna get my son a new gun for Christmas. He’s 10 but likes shooting heavier guns. He shoots off sticks exclusively(no free handing yet) but as he gets a bit older I would like him to transition into being able to do so. That being said, I’m not scared of the weight but it is something I am considering.
I have never shot any ARthat impressed me with accuracy. I know they are out there but I have personally never experienced one.
It would be a deer/hog gun.
Speaking from the experience of having two boys of my own I would recommend any decent bolt action in the .243 or 7mm .08 range. My sons had the Ruger M77 and Remington model 7 and were both great guns. Hope this helps!

· Registered
F-250
2 Posts
I’ve got bolt guns a plenty.
Really wanting an auto loader for helping him with follow up shots on hogs.
maybe the answer is both?
If you’re set on an automatic for follow ups, both would be fine. I have the M5 aero precision and it’s deadly accurate in 6.5 creedmoor, on the other hand the BAR is a better quality rifle that can be handed down for generations and is also extremely accurate, the downside, both are heavy rifles for a 10 year old to pack in and out of the woods and not the best option for a starter rifle, in my opinion.

· Super Moderator
34,149 Posts
I’ve been shooting a BAR all my life
I’ve got bolt guns a plenty.
Really wanting an auto loader for helping him with follow up shots on hogs.
maybe the answer is both?
When my baby was about 10-11, I bought him a BAR in 270. He liked it but when putting in a round into the chamber, it was LOUD! So I told him to load it but keep it on safety until he got situated in the tree. I always had a churning in my stomach about him carrying a loaded firearm up a tree.... I ended up selling it then gave him my Steyr in 7-08 and bought myself a Steyr in 300 WM. I prefer bolt action rifles but you gotta do what you like. As fer calibers, tons that would work fer your needs....

· Registered
2,255 Posts
An AR is accurate and should be considered, they can be made more and less accurate easily, customized and easily self repaired and cleaned. The AR10 can be almost as light as an AR15, with ammo and scope they are heavy enough

· Registered
8 Posts
BAR MK3 with detachable 5 rd mag for sure. It is light, accurate, smooth trigger pull, and the .308 hits a lot harder than .223 at any distance. Honestly the BAR is one of my top 3 favorite rifles, and definitely my go to for hogs. If you want a lighter load and a lighter price tag a Mini-14 or Mini-30 is also a good choice. An old M1 Garand is also very accurate and great for hogs, reasonably priced, and the block clip can be modified to hold only 5 rounds if you’re hunting management land. Your 10 yr old may not be able to handle that large of a round just yet though.

· Praedator
10,494 Posts
All my kiddos shot deer with a .308 AR platform. It's heavy. But with reduced recoil rounds and the weight, recoil was great for them.

My 7 year old boy prefers the 300 blackout AR though.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Stumbled into a good deal on a BAR Mk3 in 243. I think this is gonna be a perfect gun for what we like to do.
Trying to get a mag fed gun on the tripod always presented a bit of a challenge when we are stalking. This should transition from sling to tripod nicely.
I will update with some dead stuff in a few weeks. Headed out of town for work.

· Registered
4,620 Posts
Stumbled into a good deal on a BAR Mk3 in 243. I think this is gonna be a perfect gun for what we like to do.
Trying to get a mag fed gun on the tripod always presented a bit of a challenge when we are stalking. This should transition from sling to tripod nicely.
I will update with some dead stuff in a few weeks. Headed out of town for work.
.243 is a fun round if you load. A 95 grain Nosler does work on deer size critters and a 65 grain V-max stepped on will vaporize vermin. Most .243's will shoot both well with some playing with charges and a lot of others they are not picky. No matter what a great choice for a first rifle. Tried and true and one of the most available rounds to find and should be for along time.

· Registered
1,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
.243 is a fun round if you load. A 95 grain Nosler does work on deer size critters and a 65 grain V-max stepped on will vaporize vermin. Most .243's will shoot both well with some playing with charges and a lot of others they are not picky. No matter what a great choice for a first rifle. Tried and true and one of the most available rounds to find and should be for along time.
I do really need to start loading. I am afraid of having yet another hobby.

this is his first semi auto. He has been shooting a Ruger American in 308. It shoots lights out but they have to be the most awful bolts to cycle. I think we have 4 or 5 in different flavors and they are all awful to cycle. But they are cheap accurate guns so I’m not complaining.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts