Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guided will, Doug and Dougs Dad on a 4 hr inshore trip this morning. The bite stayed pretty solid all morning. We boated a ton of 5 to 7lb sheeps and several pretty bull reds. Check out this wierd fish the will caught! Capt. Wes, Capt Bob Quarles or me had any idea what it was. Maybe you guys can help. It has sort of a whiting mouth but he was fat like a sheepshead with striped bass trips? You tell me?

CAPT BOB! WHAT"S UP BUDDY!!

???

·
Registered
216 Posts
We used to catch something similar called a Minkfish. It's related to the Southern or Gulf Kingfish (Ground Mullet). Ours had more dark vertical banding/coloration, instead of horizontal.

They weren't nearly that fat, though.

BT

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is no help in id'ing your fish but have seen plenty of them on the shallower artificial gulf spots back when I did a lot of diving. Its a pretty common fish in our area but not often seen by fishermen.

·
Squid technician
10,498 Posts
jigslinger (4/10/2010)Cubbyu maybe?
I'm pretty sure thats what it is. Its not a chub and definitely a drum. Cubbyu are uncommon here but not unheard of

·
Indiana Jones
865 Posts
I have caught a bunch of those things on the end of the base pier on small pieces of pealed shrimp, i have yet to figure out exactly what they are though

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, It is for sure a cubbyu...I spoke with some people who study fish and then did some research myself. Check out the pic below...It looks identical to the fish I caught.

CUBBYU- Found mostly on the East coast of Florida but not uncommon to find one in the gulf of mexico. They tend to hang around rocks and structure in deep water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts