Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since being T-boned earlier today and my SUV likely totaled, my plan to get a truck is being moved up a bit. Hoping to find a good used F150 or something along those lines.

I am going to be getting a kayak as well, as soon as budget allows - probably something like a Predator PDL. Anything particular I should be looking for to make hauling a kayak easier? Obviously it'll have a tow-hitch for the boat, but anything else I'm looking for? Just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
I have a 2008 GMC Sierra that I'm about to sell. V6. Regular cab. 2wd. Camper shell.
Let me know if that might be something you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
If it's a 5.3 from 2003-2006 make sure it doesn't have a coolant leak or 706 heads. Likely cracked.

Personally I avoid ~07-2012 or so GM vehicles, corners had to be cut with the bail-out.

With that being said, I still don't prefer anything Ford.

·
Registered
67 Posts
2010 and newer GM 5.3 with active fuel management are POS. Burn/Use oil, constantly going into V4 mode...hated that truck...wish i would have kept my 2003

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Sam;

Sorry to hear about the accident, I'm assuming everyone is ok?

The model, brand year is just a matter of taste.

I prefer a long wheel base over a step-side or short base so the longer yaks are mostly in the bed. Helps stabilize it when driving & I don't have to have a bed extender to support the frond end of the yak.

If you plan on staying to paved roads & established launch sites, then a 2-wheel drive truck would work. If you're headed to soft sand, mud roads...might consider a 4-wheel drive.

I like truck beds w/ tie-downs in the corners, both upper & lower corners, helps to secure the load.

If it has a trailer hitch, bonus!

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Truckless at present, but any I bought in the past had to have a back window that opens. Comes in handy with the dog riding in back, longer fishing rods, 8'-10' boards, etc. I almost always had an aluminum (light and easy to remove/re-install) topper w/racks.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the input.

Yes, Bruce, we're ok. Thank you for asking. I had a mild concussion and some memory loss of the few minutes immediately following, but the little guy was fine other than being scared, and I'm achy and sore on my left side but otherwise ok.

I will have a 4WD, have enjoyed that on my 4Runner especially on slick boat ramps with a heavy load.

The tie downs make sense, and the other suggestions are helpful. Thank you guys.

·
Super Moderator
28,374 Posts
I won't ever own a truck that's not 4x4 but I hunt and go to the mountains alot. So it may vary with you. I have driven GM products since 2006 (had a 2006/2010/2014)...Been screwed over by The Chevy dealer in Milton, then went to Chevy in Crestview and got screwed over there, so my next dealer will be in Ft Walton. I have even been tempted to go ahead and swap out to a F250 because of the crap service I have been through, even though I really like my GM products.

Hard to give you stuff to look for in a truck not knowing your lifestyle. Like Bruce said though, I love tie downs. I really like camper shells too.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
2000 f-150 going strong 250k miles. Thankful I bought 4x4. I needed it multiple times through the years

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have an 07 tundra, 5.7 auto 4x4 with tow package.

Not bad fuel economy, plenty of power.

But...

I have put two complete rear ends in it. Apparently the Tundras had some issues with rear ends, 4x4 front diff, drive shafts.

Didn't see these when I did my research.

YMMV

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Ok thanks for the input.

Yes, Bruce, we're ok. Thank you for asking. I had a mild concussion and some memory loss of the few minutes immediately following, but the little guy was fine other than being scared, and I'm achy and sore on my left side but otherwise ok.

I will have a 4WD, have enjoyed that on my 4Runner especially on slick boat ramps with a heavy load.

The tie downs make sense, and the other suggestions are helpful. Thank you guys.

Dang, you were very lucky.

Another MUST have for me is an extended cab, extra capacity for guests and its easier to stow gear you don't want in the truck bed while driving.

Like Jason, I'm a GM, specifically a Chevy guy. My '02 Z71, 4x4, 5.3L has 365,000 miles on it and is used daily by my son's painting business, still going strong!

Whatever you choose, if you have a local mechanic shop you do business with, arrange a check-up w/ the seller. If he's unwilling to let you do that, might be a reason he doesn't want someone looking.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Bruce. Yes we were lucky or rather more likely we were being looked out for. Yay for guardian angels. :thumbsup: Course, my wife says it's just proof I have a hard head. Perhaps, but well then thank God for that!

Appreciate everyone's input. I have my eye on the extended cab as well for the reasons you already mentioned. I think it will largely come down to what I can find at the price I need and hopefully in a couple years I can upgrade to whatever it is I figure out I really wanted. Sorta like my first boat... I loved that boat for what it did for me, and it taught me what I was looking for in my next one. :whistling:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad to hear you and fam are OK. Most important thing. Vehicles are just things.

I have a 2015 RAM 1500, crew cab. Love the truck. The full cab is great for taking extra adults, space for stuff on road trip and for storing kayak gear when going fishing. My wife prefers riding in the truck on long trips.

Length of the bed is not a big deal IF you have a bed extender. $50-70. Worth every penny. I think they sell them at Academy. It works great for carting a PA14 around. I have the V6 - I don't tow much and the fuel economy is 20+ day-to-day, 24+ on the highway. If you' re towing heavy loads, you probably need the V8.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I drive a 2013 f150 supercrew eco boost 3.5 and love it. Huge interior 8 ft rods no problem. The best part is faster quieter and has more torque than its competitors. I really enjoy having a very quiet hi performance motor. PS all previous vehicles V-8s except for an 06 G-35 coupe with the 305 HP v-6 naturally aspirated (fun car).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts