Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about heading out that way to give it a shot once we get some calmer seas, hopefully that happens before July Tenth. :rolleyes:

Ive never been out there but hear it can be good though it probably also gets hammered this time of year.

Would also consider hitting the Paradise Hole area off of Pickens but that is a bit further out.

·
Registered
540 Posts
You guys know much about Greyton? Wife and I are staying at the state park at the end of July. No kayak, but I'll hit the beach pretty hard.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Been out there the last 2 weekends. Got some nice kings in the troll out to our numbers. If you are going to launch at Grayton be sure to stretch out really good before you pull your yak to the water. HA.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
last weekend there must have been 25 boats on paradise

·
Registered
168 Posts
You guys know much about Greyton? Wife and I are staying at the state park at the end of July. No kayak, but I'll hit the beach pretty hard.
If you wanted to use a kayak Yellowfin Ocean Sports at the general store in Greyton rent kayaks or you could try the main store in Sea Side.

If you have a 4wd vehicle show up to the beach at sunrise and you can get away with pulling up to the water and dropping off your gear, just do not get caught. I wish I was in town otherwise I could meet y'all down there and shuttle the gear to the water, I just got a beach permit for my truck. I should be back in Aug.:thumbdown: so if anybody wants to fish that area I will be down.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Any idea on how those yaks are outfitted? Rodholders is my main question. We are only there for two nights, and we are long overdue for some quality time, but she never wakes up before 9:00, so I could probably get a trip in from sun up til my non-kayaking arms and shoulders decide to call it a day.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Is it a long haul to the beach? Never been so I would kind of be winging it. Where do you launch?
You can either launch at the state park or you can launch at the access right behind The Red Bar. The Red Bar accesss will smoke you for sure. 2 weekends ago we caught 2 flounder, 1 Trigger, 1 Mahi, 18lb King, and a nice Reef shark. Last weekend we caught 2 kings, 3 bo bo's, 1 mahi and a bunch of white snapper. There arent too many boats out that way so it is good kayak territory. I have a blast out there. What kind of kayak do you have?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Any idea on how those yaks are outfitted? Rodholders is my main question. We are only there for two nights, and we are long overdue for some quality time, but she never wakes up before 9:00, so I could probably get a trip in from sun up til my non-kayaking arms and shoulders decide to call it a day.
I am not to sure if they have rod holders or not. The main store in Seagrove (think I said seaside before) which is up the road would be your best bet for a request like that. The people that work there and the owners are very friendly and laid back. The shop is basically a mom and pop kayak fishing store which rents and sells kayaks (mostly Hobies) as well as live bait and gear. I bet if you talked to them they would set you up with what you need.

http://www.yellowfinoceansports.com/

since you will be that way check out Barefoot BBQ in Seaside (real close to the state park), it is in one of those silver air stream trailers, nothing fancy but a bucket of beer and some nachos after some fishing always hits the spot.

·
Registered
361 Posts
yellowfin is a great little shop. i've been buying bait there for years and the owners are very nice people.

·
Registered
23 Posts
YellowFin

We rented a couple of kayaks from yellow fin over Memorial day. They were very nice people and very accommodating. Delivered them early and picked them up late. They were Hobie Quest 11 with two built in rod holders.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can either launch at the state park or you can launch at the access right behind The Red Bar. The Red Bar accesss will smoke you for sure. 2 weekends ago we caught 2 flounder, 1 Trigger, 1 Mahi, 18lb King, and a nice Reef shark. Last weekend we caught 2 kings, 3 bo bo's, 1 mahi and a bunch of white snapper. There arent too many boats out that way so it is good kayak territory. I have a blast out there. What kind of kayak do you have?
Im in a Hobie Outback. Sounds like a good area to at least have a change of scenery. Let me know if you head out that way again, Im in Navarre.

Is it true you can drive on the beach down there? I have a Jeep and it would be MUCH easier to just drive to the surf then to haul it over the sand. :whistling:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have an outback as well. I think I will launch the west end of 30A this next time and just troll. We caught lots of nice fish in the troll. Yes you can drive on the beach if you have a walton county beach access pass. I heard of a guy that did it last weekend anyway at 530 am and nobody caught him. I will go out on sun morn if you wanna go, but I will be going out of dune allen and trying for kings.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have an outback as well. I think I will launch the west end of 30A this next time and just troll. We caught lots of nice fish in the troll. Yes you can drive on the beach if you have a walton county beach access pass. I heard of a guy that did it last weekend anyway at 530 am and nobody caught him. I will go out on sun morn if you wanna go, but I will be going out of dune allen and trying for kings.
You can get away with it if it is early. In the mid morning/afternoon just take a good look around and do not act suspect and you will be fine. I may or may not be speaking from experience:rolleyes:. I had the wifey apply for a permit this spring and she just picked it up a few days ago. It will make things much easier. I can not wait to get home so I can put it to use.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts