Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Any hog will do
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The names sound real familiar. You talking about the pit across from the ez mart ?
Man everyone remember Economy Corner n the old couple who ran it ? Put in the Tom Thumb caddy corner to him n shut him down, then they move in his spot.
The land south of scottland goin down the hill was part of property my old man had. Lots of deer hogs and moccasins down there

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Have to butt in .When I first read the title to this thread my first thought was :
they cant know the real rock bottom .The one by Saufley Field.
Then as I read on I got goosebumps and as excited as kid at Christmas morning.
Oh yes they do! Bon fires, keggers ,dates with girlfriends ,swimming , getting the truck stuck in that white sand or the high bank walls (bottomed out at the top one time we had to push it off ,back 2 tires werent touching) oh yeah and truck surfing .I remember my buddy driving as we came around a corner slamming on the brakes and me being the surfer standing up top flying over the front of the truck onto the ground in front of the other vehicle.
also running dirt bikes in the pit and a spot north of cerny and west of blue angel and getting pulled over for no helmet and told to just stay off the street burying a K5 blazer in the mud at that pit and catching some nice size bass n blue gill and hunting south of scotland road

PFHS 1987 My buddies were jeff mitchel robert white , randy goodale

thanx for the flashback riverlover
PFHS 84 for me. PS Randy's sister Linda was and still is amazingly attractive, Good ole Yorkshire Estates right up the road from me. We all road the same bus until high school. Rode those pits and the track with the Zotts and many others.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yes thats the spot across from the store all we did was squirrels up by the houses of some friends. Real pretty big oaks lots of hiding places for them squirrels
Yes thats what i remember bout her too
My friends lived on turkey rd and perkins and scotland

·
Registered
4 Posts
Speaking on Rock Bottom; what are some historic details about the area? (not just the base ; but that specific 1 mile square radius of the area ) What was up with the giant tube leading to the water? ; it was obvious that wasnt the source of the water as it was a natural spring. What about the little boardwalk area/natural trail setup that was closer to the base? what was up with that? That building on the other side of the fence that was over that way too? Between like 2006 -2010 My friends and I hung out , swam, and jumped off the tree over the water during the summer. It was a special spot to have. Always respected the area and kept it like it was when we got there as we knew we "werent supposed to be there". last time I went back there was with my sister in 2011. I never did anything nefarious going out there but alot of people I know of got in huge trouble while going back there ultimately leading them to shut the place down and somehow they know now when you head back there apparently. Im curious to get more details, like the real origins of the spot and that watersource . Pictures or an old home video would be too awesome. There has to be something else on the internet discussing this place ; has to be.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I made the trip from Perdido Bay up Bayou Marcus last weekend first time in 40 years turned back around at Blue Angel pkwy bridge epic trip! Thanks Kenny and my Hobie PS the old sewer treatment pond elbow is a lot smaller than I remember it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
These are images a friend of mine took 2020. the bottom is the baby in its prime. the authorities decided to completely deface and ruin it. would love all the information possible on this spot. especially the details and history, or does anyone know any reason why they had issue with it's existence enough to go to the extreme and react in this way? Something had to have happened. Some of my best memories as a kid. I just feel like there a lot of unanswered questions of this place I need to know.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I wonder if the flood a few years ago did that?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if the flood a few years ago did that?
very well could be a possibility but I wouldnt think the water would have surged to that extreme cause of the stream trail that led out . I feel the rain water would have had a place to go. The guy who took the pictures has lived in that area his whole life and says the military police destroyed it. Alot of kids were getting in trouble by the base police going out there and Id guess they were just tired of dealing with it. They blocked off that stream I just mention, bulldozed the sand shores into the deep end blocking the natural spring from the bottom, cut off the bottom section of the tube and left it in the water. What makes it obvious someone did it is the fact the tree everyone jumped off of was cut down.Also, There is a situation the base is dealing with from contaminated groundwater from old bomb testing in that immediate area. Alot of residence have come ill from the ground well water they have used in the past ; so my presumption is that they wanted that watersource completely defaced so it couldnt be tested as a groundwater source. who knows really.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reminds me of the clay pit behind the drive in off navy Blvd.
very similar now.
back when it was a swimming hole it was more comparable to a river atmosphere but it was a natural spring/stream pond. water was as clear as day.

all the redeeming qualities were ruined; the floor of the water was blocked; so no clean water anymore.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts