Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Antone going to try to make it out to hunt in the snow tomorrow? I'm gona try to make it out to hunt all day up in holmes county. Supposedly it's suppos to snow most of the day!?????Anyone have any experience hunting in the snow in the South? Do the deer move or are they freaked because they don't know what the hell is ging on?

·
Super Moderator
29,280 Posts
I'll be up a tree in the AM.....:letsdrink

·
Registered
782 Posts
I remember last time it snowed in these parts, the deer acted pretty freaked out about the snow. I would like to here tomorrows report.

·
Registered
199 Posts
+1 Anyone hunting tomorrow, please report good or bad. Those of us stuck at work are pretty insterested to know what the deer will be up to tomorrow. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Still looking like were going to get 1-2 inches of accumilation through out the day... I will post report when I get back hopefully it will be good one!

·
Registered
109 Posts
redfishguy83 (2/11/2010)Rut should really be kicking into high gear with these temps!
There is no relation between air temp and the 'rut'...no matter how cold it is (or hot). Studies have shown, just because its cold out, doesn't mean the rut kicks in to a higher gear.

The rut has everyting to do with does beginning their estrous cycle and bucks responsing to that (naturally).This cycle has more (if not everything) to do with the length of the day, gravitational pull of the moon and sun, and the time of year in general (which really to deer,time of year =length of the day).

Deer movement tends to increase during lower temps...true. But, there's no scentific correlation between temp and rut.

Just FYI for ya. Take it or leave it.

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
I sure hope anybody out there today is in a shooting house and not up in a tree unless they have some seriously warm rain gear. It's 36 and raining steady here in Fort Walton Beach. There is nothing worse then hunting in a cold rain. I would rather dry and 20 degrees than 36 and raining. I shot my first deer when it was 34 and raining up in Conecuh County 6 years ago. It was nice and cozy in the shooting house but retrieving and cleaning that deer in the cold rain sucked big time. Good luck to anybody out there hunting today! TGIF and a 3 day Mardi Gras weekend to boot! :letsdrink

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Ill be out there,,, prob. in my hut,,, but i think i might hit a tree in the morning,,,

·
Registered
918 Posts
Mitch went this afternoon...nada

but will be in the stand in the morning...hopefully productive.

and back home to ready for Krewe of Wrecks Sunday

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I got to the property at about 520 or so and it rained the whole way up.I got in the stand by 600 and still raining. At about 730 at doe ran by behind, I was expecting to see a buck behind her but nothing... So it rained all the way up til about 200.... Thats when the snow started it snowed til about 345-400 and right when it stopped i had 5 does come in and eat then all of a sudden they looked up and two does ran in and stopped down wind of me and just stood there (they had winded me) then behind them about 30-40 yards i see his big ass cross an opening headed down wind of me well about 10 seconds later i see him run right back through that sme oppening... Then every other deer ran off asw well!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts