Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in the area for work for a few days and thought about using my day off to take a stab at it. Anyone ever hunted over there? I applied for a permit in Box R but didnt get it, so I'd be on Apalachicola WMA

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I have several local friends that hunt down there and do real well. I use to stay at Box R Ranch when it was still privately owned. Truly an incredible place

·
Registered
188 Posts
I hunt Apalachicola WMA a good bit. Find a still hunt area near the river and give it a shot.

I'm a little farther east, toward Crawfordville. The quota areas are usually more productive, but I've had good luck over the years in Apalach.

·
Registered
13,780 Posts
They run dogs in there like outlaws. Not sure how the still hunt areas are but I’m sure there’s plenty of deer to be killed. Beautiful place for sure.

·
Registered
13,780 Posts
Also, Hurricane Michael went straight up the river. I haven’t been in there since, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is all tore up with blow downs.

·
DROP TINE BUCK
6,538 Posts
Also, Hurricane Michael went straight up the river. I haven’t been in there since, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is all tore up with blow downs.

I bet next year the hunting will be better than average.

After Hurricane Katrina came into Mississippi , it tore up the Pascagoula River swamp, it went from being mostly big timber in a lot of places to a pile of blowdowns, when all this timber blew down, it opened up the ground and allowed it to green up.

The following couple years the hunting was phenomenal due to being tough to hunt from being so thick and from the deer having more to eat from all the young plants/briars that were able to grow. The size and numbers went up drastically for a few years, it has went back down since but it helped for a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,813 Posts

After Hurricane Katrina came into Mississippi , it tore up the Pascagoula River swamp, it went from being mostly big timber in a lot of places to a pile of blowdowns, when all this timber blew down, it opened up the ground and allowed it to green up.

The following couple years the hunting was phenomenal due to being tough to hunt from being so thick and from the deer having more to eat from all the young plants/briars that were able to grow. The size and numbers went up drastically for a few years, it has went back down since but it helped for a few years.

This^^^ I bet there will be some nice bucks taken this year and for the next few. Considering when Hurricane Michael hit and how much damage it caused, I bet there are a lot of bucks that got one year older.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I've came back to this thread since I actually got a quota for archery in Box R this year. I can't wait to get out there. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have time to scout much before hand, but I'm going to hit it hard for 3 days. I'm camping nearby.

I've got some areas marked to check out, but I've read they have some "wildlife openings" that are actually planted to attract deer and turkey so hopefully I can find some of those

I'm also hoping most of the roads have been cleared since Michael, but I'm prepared to do a lot of walking. I'm going to hunt from a stand but I plan to keep it mobile and move around once I find some sign.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I go over there every year and dog hunt when blackwater dogs closes after the first of the year. Miles and miles of woods. There’s not near as many deer as blackwater but it’s a fun place to hunt. People can spread out and not be on top of one another.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
We used to hunt the Brickyard Slough are and where Brothers River fed into the Apalachicola River. Took a boat to do that, but we hunted the high oak hammocks on all the islands.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is only 30 quota permits for this hunt so that's going to be pretty nice. Plenty of room for everyone. Hopefully I can find something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts