Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, caught this yesterday about 10 miles off the coast of St Augustine and would love some help confirming what exact type it was..
Many thanks in advance

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Lotta Bull to me.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Lemon fo sho. One way to verify that it's a lemon is the two dorsal fins that are about the same size. One that size will test your tackle and your resolve. Got him hooked just right.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Lemon fo sho. One way to verify that it's a lemon is the two dorsal fins that are about the same size. One that size will test your tackle and your resolve. Got him hooked just right.
this is some good info. i have never learned the sharks, except maybe the blacktip, and really hate to catch the bastards. the only one i have ever eaten and enjoyed was the mako which we caught swording. really tasty on the grill with some lemon-pepper.
jack

Reactions: Catchemall

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I've never tried a Mako, I hear they're great. I've eaten most of the inshore species and try as I might, I'm not a fan. Duskys and sandbars are the two I have trouble identifying. The only way I can tell the difference in the water is that anything over about seven feet is supposed to be a dusky.

Reactions: Walton County

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
I've never tried a Mako, I hear they're great. I've eaten most of the inshore species and try as I might, I'm not a fan. Duskys and sandbars are the two I have trouble identifying. The only way I can tell the difference in the water is that anything over about seven feet is supposed to be a dusky.
sandbar has a really large dorsal fin, both have the dorsal ridge from the dorsal to the tail. Both are protected.. don't go by size, I've caught 8 ft sandbars.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,077 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, no one mentioned a sand tiger shark, any chance it could be possible?
Nope, #1 is because Realtor said it was a Lemon, and #2, the sand tiger has a more defined (elongated) snout, moreso than the lemon.

BUT, it could be a Sand Tiger, it could even been a Great White, I mean it's your story, you can tell it like you want. ;)(y)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts