Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a while, ran across these out of Olive Branch Miss. I am thinking an 85lb bin will be plenty ice for what I need. Anyone have reviews or suggestion? 1650 for a 210 a day 85 storage all in one unit? Thoughts, suggestions, reviews, much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
I’ll say this and take it for what’s its worth from someone that’s been in the business for over 15 years. Really think about the cost of what ice cost compared to power, initial machine cost, repair and maint then think of how much you spend a month on ice.

If you can justify it after that then only advice I have is buy a well known brand. Parts are expensive as it’s is, you don’t need expensive and hard to find

Hoshizaki is the best on the market. Manitowoc is up there too then you have everyone else.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Jason, find someone who has an ice machine and pay them for ice. Churches, fire stations, etc. the ice needs to be turned over or it just melts. Doesn't cost any more money to make ice every day or just once a week.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I’ll say this and take it for what’s its worth from someone that’s been in the business for over 15 years. Really think about the cost of what ice cost compared to power, initial machine cost, repair and maint then think of how much you spend a month on ice.

If you can justify it after that then only advice I have is buy a well known brand. Parts are expensive as it’s is, you don’t need expensive and hard to find

Hoshizaki is the best on the market. Manitowoc is up there too then you have everyone else.
This...for just the initial cost of the machine you can buy just under 20,000lbs of ice at 20lbs per dump at $1.50 each at a Twice the Ice machine, add into that, water, power, maintenance and you'd have to use a lot of ice to justify the convenience.

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spend between $10 & $30 a week in ice, depending on if there is a ice shack on my way or a stores ice at $3 or $4 a bag.

I know a few places I can go get ice from friends or other, but then when I want to fill fish boxes or deer coolers I feel I should not take all their ice, not to mention inconvenience of having to go somewhere to get it

I keep a cooler on 2 trucks with ice 7 days a week, occasional party, fishing trips, deer meat ice down so on.

I had a Hoshizaki, I bought from a member on here a few years back, had it repaired, it lasted a month, loved it, went to have it repaired again and was advized it wasn't worth repairing, I think I should have got another opinion, but.... sold it and 400lb bin for $100. I need an ice machine, lol

·
Registered
732 Posts
I bought a new Ice-o-Matic about 18 months ago but usually plan ahead and only run it a day or so ahead of when I need it. At #300+ per 24 hours seems to work for me. Do I ever expect to recoup the price of the unit? Hell no, but it sure is nice to have it when i need it.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have 4 to 5 crews fill water coolers every day so it's worth owning one for me. Not to mention, when I get ready to go fishing it's nice to pull up to my shop and load the boxes and coolers with 400lb of ice.

·
Registered
14,663 Posts
I got a sweet deal on a Scotsman pellet machine about 2 years ago. I need about 50 pounds every two weeks. And it makes 200# a day lol. Water is cheap and it costs me about $20 in power a month. Makes no sense except that when you get used to unlimited ice - it’s hard to live without!!

·
Registered
10,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Pulled the trigger on the one I posted. Owner of the companys daughter, sent me a txt with pictures of it on the pallet at 8 a.m Monday morning, 11:30 she sent me the tracking #. Tuesday she called to tell me it should be here Friday. 12:15 UPS called and asked if between 3-6 Friday would work? UPS called me at 1:30 today asked if they could deliver early.

I spent the morning piping a water line to where I wanted it. Only complaint was she told me she thought it was a 3/8 line and its a 1/2", lol. Quick trip to halls at 3 or so today and I am in business.

3:16 it dropped its first cubes.... I think its broken or trying to impress me way too quickly??

Stopped by again about 7:30. Bin half full. 80 ish lb bin. Im going to fill the cooler in the morning, see what happens. Time will tell! Extremely pleased so far, especially with the sale and delivery. Did I mention she sold me this at about 7, last Sunday evening? Lol. Told me when I spoke to her yesterday this is her best seller, she has sold 7 in last 3 weeks.

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Get a chest freezer and build a wood box that fits inside. Then top it off with ice. Then just dump your home ice maker ice into it. You need the wood box because the ice will freeze together and have to be chipp to break it up. If you are selling fish. The buyers usually for nothing or a small fee let you get ice for your cooler. Been doing that for 40 years. Small freezer cost about 130$ at Sams. The wood box is a must one mistake hitting side with ice breaker means a new freezer.

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Great minds think alike, Sealark. I had just talked myself out of it, and decided to buy a chest freezer, just like that. Problem is, they are out of stock everywhere now. Not a chest freezer to be found locally that I can see. If anyone runs up on a small one like this, please keep me in mind. If I had a business that needed ice, or a big boat that took 300lbs a trip, then yes.. I get it. For me, it's about having ice those times I need to fill a cooler. I freezer will do me just fine if I can find one. Here is the quote from my buddy that runs an appliance repair business. This pushed me over the edge. "They are expensive, wasteful, maintenance heavy appliances- so unless you really really really want one- I'd say fuck that. It runs 24/7/365. Never stores the ice- just makes and melts in an endless cycle. Add $25 electric and $10 for water a month. Plus upkeep and failed parts."

·
Registered
9,384 Posts
Great minds think alike, Sealark. I had just talked myself out of it, and decided to buy a chest freezer, just like that. Problem is, they are out of stock everywhere now. Not a chest freezer to be found locally that I can see. If anyone runs up on a small one like this, please keep me in mind. If I had a business that needed ice, or a big boat that took 300lbs a trip, then yes.. I get it. For me, it's about having ice those times I need to fill a cooler. I freezer will do me just fine if I can find one. Here is the quote from my buddy that runs an appliance repair business. This pushed me over the edge. "They are expensive, wasteful, maintenance heavy appliances- so unless you really really really want one- I'd say fuck that. It runs 24/7/365. Never stores the ice- just makes and melts in an endless cycle. Add $25 electric and $10 for water a month. Plus upkeep and failed parts."
Did you check sams? No way I would buy an ice machine. I did mine from no other choice. Ice machines are for lazy rich people, my ice machine is bigger than yours, yes but my cooler always has more fish in it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts