Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little to no discussion about the scallop season opening or even fishing in the bay or at Indian Pass. Is anyone there or going this week?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I'm planning a trip hopefully before the end of the month. One of the guys going with us said scallops are closed south of Black's Island. He also said he had a report that specks and reds were biting pretty good. No word on tarpon or tripletail. He did say the road was open to the state park at Cape San Blas.

I am interested in knowing if menhaden are thick off St. Vincents and if St. Joe Bay has lots of whitebait (pilchards).

·
Registered
422 Posts
went yesterday for opening day best I have ever seen we limited out on 30 min heading out again now west of blaks look for the flotilla of board we were right in the middle of them

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. Just finished unpacking and going to check out state park before dark. Will be fishing and scalloping here for a week. Will report back periodically.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Give me some pointers, lol. Just booked a house for next weekend down there, taking the family and the boat, sure hope to limit out 2 days, lol

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
Going Labor Day, 20 of us, we stay at port inn cottages, highway 98, across from the boat ramp. Every year

A buddy is there this weekend, he limited out in one hour, two days in a row.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Scallops are definitely thick. Walked out from the Stump Hole and limited even though we couldn't see bottom due to all the rain. Hopefully better weather so we can start trying to fish soon. Didn't want to fight the wind with the kayaks today.

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
Multiple people that I talk to this weekend that went, got their limit in a heartbeat. Lots of scallops everywhere. The best year ever. Some said they found small ones and then were going to search for larger ones on their second and third day!!

Yahoo!

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Scallops are definitely thick. Walked out from the Stump Hole and limited even though we couldn't see bottom due to all the rain. Hopefully better weather so we can start trying to fish soon. Didn't want to fight the wind with the kayaks today.
Where would a newbie find said stump hole??? Lol. How is the fishing in there? Trout reds flounder??

·
Registered
705 Posts
We took a kayak out near the Buffer Preserve Sat. Paddled about a mile out straight towards Blacks. Limited out in one 20sq yard hole. Look for the deep sand holes. They are there folks! Boats everywhere. Wind and rain swept in a few times but we stuck with it. Kid and wife took it like a champ.

Spent about 3hrs cleaning them today. Pretty small compared to the ones I’m used to getting but damn good.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jaster the Stump Hole is down on 30E at the rocks before you get to Scallop Cove. Weather has been terrible so far for fishing from kayaks. Hopefully we'll get a break for this soon. I would highly recommend a cheap small shopvac. It has saved us several hours already this week.

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Ok, I gotcha, other side of the bay from where I was told they were pretty thick. So I guess they are all over in there? Thankyou for the info. Hoping to take a few rods amd me and the boys fish a few hours until the sun comes up and we grab momma and Daughter to go searching for em

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Jaster the Stump Hole is down on 30E at the rocks before you get to Scallop Cove. Weather has been terrible so far for fishing from kayaks. Hopefully we'll get a break for this soon. I would highly recommend a cheap small shopvac. It has saved us several hours already this week.
Dump question here but what is purpose of shopvac?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts