Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seas look to be pretty calm this weekend and looking to drag some skirts Sunday! We plan on running the edge to the nipple and was wondering if any other PFFrs will be out and about?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at Saturday, moon seems right for a wahoo bite. I'll have a tailwalker or two in the spread.
Hey Bro, good to hear from ya! Let us know how things go. Looking forward to some good pics from your catch!

·
Registered
588 Posts
We made a run to the edge wed and pulled lures for several hours without any success. Probably should have ran further south and got into warmer water. Temp was 67-68.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We'll be out there as well. Not sure I'll be able to convince Eric to let me try my new Tailwalker since he's doesn't like to troll.:blink:
If you have the Fury or Fury XL lure you can convince him to troll from bottom spot to spot. These lures can be trolled from 12-20 knots and if you're in deep enough water you can double up on your chances for bottom fish and maybe a wahoo!

Besides tell Eric don't be so cruel! 😎😜

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you have the Fury or Fury XL lure you can convince him to troll from bottom spot to spot. These lures can be trolled from 12-20 knots and if you're in deep enough water you can double up on your chances for bottom fish and maybe a wahoo!

Besides tell Eric don't be so cruel! 😎😜
I do have the Fury. Maybe I'll just throw it out there in between spots and not even tell him.:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
Headed out Saturday as well. See you guys out there. Black hulled Seafox named the Sea Sweet. Headed toward the spur for some daytime sword time if the weather will let us get there quick enough.... if not probably deep dropping and trolling the nipple 131 area.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How were the seas guys?

The wind was blowing like hell today. Don't know how it's not 4' seas out there right now.

Looks like it's postponed our trip!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Offshore trip

Headed out Destin pass Friday evening towards the spur. Seas 3-4 all night. Dropped down for swords till around noon with no luck. Put out the trolling spread and picked up 1 Mahi at the spur then found a nice line of grass approximately 40 miles out. Picked up 1 more Mahi before headed into sloppy seas with strong west wind.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
We loaded up and headed south saturday afternoon in search of sword. Got to the edge and the whole way out was a ridiculous slog. Airborne at 22 mph in a 20,000 lb boat ain’t fun. Took a vote and headed home to drink beer. We will fight another day.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We decicided to postpone the trip for looking at the crazy wind Saturday. Guess I'm glad we did. Sorry to hear about everyone's "boat ride". Guess it's better than a day at the office.

Next time!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Made it out Saturday morning. Left Emerald Coast Marine at 5 am. Goal was daytime sword and maybe deep dropping so didn't stop for any bait. Nice ride out able to run about 25 knots for the 60 mile trip to the Spur. No current but setup a drift not too far away from a sportfisher out there doing the same thing I guess. Started first drift in about 1525-1550' not much current with the wind no moving us too much either. Nothing really doing on that bait and on retrieve we had a slight tangle with a little action on the bait that we must have missed. Next bait goes don in the 1560-1600' range pretty quickly it's acting a little weird not sure if it's bite or not but we drop it down pull it up a couple times. I think something is wrong so we start bringing it up to check and make sure we aren't tangled again (this is my second time doing this and first time on my own with my own rigged baits...) when we clear the weight it is then that we realize we have a sword on.... He plays nice and we get him in the boat pretty easily and he's 50" right at 48#caught at 10:30. Not bad for beginners luck! tried to run WNW but the seas at this time are getting pretty rough so we rad due N to about 1000' and deep dropped and caught 6 golden tiles. Great day out and yes the waves picked up to steady 2-3s and we had a rough ride in with a bill fish sticking out of the box so all was well!!

Attachments

·
Registered
499 Posts
Went out Sat afternoon from OB. First stop was at the Steps for some white snapper and tile and didn't disappoint. At dark, we pushed out for the first stop at ENSCO 8503. It seemed pretty crowded and appeared to be a good sign for YFT, but it didn't materialize. The chatter was a few YFT hit & miss elsewhere, but nobody was giving any specifics. We decided to push out further and next stop was at West Capricorn. The BFT were thick and again we were hopeful of YFT and again it never came. Decided to push out to the drillship Pacific Sharav and be there for the hopeful morning bite, which again never came. In all, the water at all stops was pretty devoid of any bait but was clear. The ride back to OB was a bit rough. A strong W wind pushed up some 4-5's and made for a slow ride back. Once back on the other side of Petronius, as usual, it started to lay down and by mid afternoon we cruised in at flank speed. In all, everyone that decided to put off their trip on Sat didn't miss anything in my opinion, at least not as far as YFT. Oh well, that's fishing. Can't wait until things start to turn and I can post photos of decent fish again. Tight Lines!

Reactions: Baitsoaker
1 - 20 of 22 Posts