1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever use this "REDUCED RIFLE LOADS
HODGDON® H4895® REDUCED RIFLE LOADS​
For Youth Hunting, Informal Target, and Plinking
__________________________________________________________________________​
Hodgdon Powder Company has found that​
H4895 can be loaded to reduced levels. H4895

was chosen because it is the slowest burning propellant that ignites uniformly in reduced
charges. To create reduced loads, the 60% formula is recommended.
Find the​
H4895 load in the Reloading Data Center for your caliber and bullet.
Take the
maximum H4895 charge listed and multiply by 60% (.6). The load may
be adjusted up from there to achieve the desired velocity and accuracy.
This works only where
H4895 is listed. DO NOT use in a cartridge where H4895

is not shown.
Example: 30-06 cartridge with 125 gr. Sierra SP bullet. Max load shown in the Reloading
Data Center with H4895 is 53.7 grains. 53.7 X .6 = 32.2 grains. The shooter begins
with this load, and may work up from there to obtain the desired velocity and
accuracy for his reduced load.​
Call Hodgdon Powder Company if additional information is needed, 913-362-9455.

Need some feedback on this data on the reduce felt recoil? :thumbup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Recoil will depend on bullet weight. Should be less than a factory .243 or 30-30 for most loads.

Velocity is said to be generally in the 1800-2000 fps range.

Because of the low velocity, single shot pistol bullets or thin jacketed bullets like the Hornady A-max are recommended for hunting.

I've used it in a 7mm mauser.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Do be careful when reducing loads. I have seen pressure signs with reduced loads in a rifle that showed no pressure signs with full power loads using the same batch of components. One book says the powder detonates instead of burning causing some kind of pressure spike. It didn't make sense to me but after seeing a few flowing case heads after some reduced loads I quit messing with them.

If the powder companies are giving out load data though you should probably be ok as long as you follow it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
852 Posts
Over on the GCGF there is a discussion going on about the 110 gr Barnes black tip for the 300 Blackout, at about 2350 fps mv. Favorable reviews. Maybe try that bullet if you are downloading a .30 cal.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My brother used to use them for his son. They definitely work but I believe he said maximum kill distance was about 200 yards for the ones he was using.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I load up a reduced load for my son's .260 remington. Use a sierra 120 gr bullet. He killed a deer with it this year, no problems at all. The recoil is very mild.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I used a reduced load for a 300WSM when I had shoulder surgery. Sierra recommended Trail Boss powder and 150 gr bullets that produced just less than 30-30 velocities. Worked great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts