Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
planning on running out this weekend, wondering if anyone has ever tried dropping live shrimp

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The couple of times we have tried it, we caught some weird fish called red snapper. I have always wondered what you would catch on the edge if you dropped down a multiple hook rig with a bunch of shrimp on it.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
red and black snapper, triggereat shrimp like popcorn. Not a recommended bait due to that fact shrimp are not durable, but if you mark fish up off thebottom try oneupoff the bottomrigged as lightly as possible.

mark

·
Registered
855 Posts
markw4321 (3/10/2010)red and black snapper, triggereat shrimp like popcorn. Not a recommended bait due to that fact shrimp are not durable, but if you mark fish up off thebottom try oneupoff the bottomrigged as lightly as possible.

mark

x2 for the black snapper

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I think that you are going to find your shrimp will be devoured instantly, you may not even feel it get bit.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
CHUMMING SNAPPER UP AND FREE LINEING THEY ARE DYNOMITE BUT LIKE MENTIONED THEY ARE STOLED BY EVERYTHING ELSE WHEN PUT NEAR THE BOTTOM.PLUS VERY COSTLY.

TIM

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have caught my largest snapper and triggers on live shrimp, also caught a 43 inch AJ on a shrimp, but like others said buy and extra 3 dozen.

·
Registered
126 Posts
me and David Bartee(NMFS headboat guy for this area) years ago nettted some stud white shrimp out of bayou texar, took em out to the tanks, and slayed big AJ's with em. That was before ARS's were endangered and overpopulated and AJ's had no size or bag limits. I know; I'm old. Capt. Cory told me that the other day.

·
Registered
863 Posts
in Oct and Nov after cold fronts,use try light tackle fish live shrimp right on the bottom around the edges nearshore reefs in 25' to 35' water

flounder candy

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
Dolphin will also inhale them, throw a DOA shrimp and see what I am talking about.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Fishing live shrimp on spinning tackle with justa split shot for lead at night, over shallow wrecks (70 feet or less) for black and red snapper is a blast -under a full moon the snaps will rise right up tothe boat, and you can hook- up high in the water column

·
Registered
610 Posts
recess (3/10/2010)CHUMMING SNAPPER UP AND FREE LINEING THEY ARE DYNOMITE BUT LIKE MENTIONED THEY ARE STOLED BY EVERYTHING ELSE WHEN PUT NEAR THE BOTTOM.PLUS VERY COSTLY.

TIM

Tim is on the money, they are trout candy and snapper candy. Once you have a school chummed up you can pick out your bigger ones using live shrimp. Lots of fun sight casting for snapper.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Went out on a headboat out of Destin a few years ago when the red snapper limit was 5. Some guy showed up with a bucket of live shrimp. People laughed at him. He had his limit of 5 keeper snapper before anyone else on the boat. Now, I will say he went through a bunch of shrimp to get to the 5 snapper. They don't last long on the bottom if they even make it down. But they do work.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts