Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last 10 years or so, I freakin live for hunting turkeys...the older I get, the more I love it. I could skip deer season 'some years' (not every year though). Turkey hunting is the ultimate in hunting for those that haven't been or tried it. Deer hunting, you just kind-of sit there and wait, but not turkey hunting. There's soooo much more interaction with the birds, more strategy/thinking, more playin around with toys/calls, and more overall excitment if your property hold birds. There's nothing like it. EVERY hunter that's never been should try it...but WARNING, its addictive!!!

To me, there's nothing better than hearing the sound of a gobbler at dawn on a cool clear spring morning. My blood just started pumping typing that.

I got a brand new Remington on the way. I can't wait to pattern that bad boy and then put that bead on a big ole gobblers noggin.

Good Luck to those that are going. Start scouting now!

· Registered
1,901 Posts
yeah, I am kinda tired of hitting that glass call in the living room and seeing my wife come around the corner to respond..............................and the response is "would you stop that in the house and go outside!" lol I am ready as I can be!

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Caspr21 (3/9/2010)yeah, I am kinda tired of hitting that glass call in the living room and seeing my wife come around the corner to respond..............................and the response is "would you stop that in the house and go outside!" lol I am ready as I can be!
I feel ya there Wes. Funny you mention that.....my wife starts screaming everytime I break out my calls in the house..."GO OUTSIDE!!!". I think turkeys make cool sounds, but she f***ing hates it. I can make her gobble everytime with 1 yelp.

I heard 2 gobbling last Sun morning...found 1 strut area...the normal feeding areas are absolutely tore-up! Saw a flock of about 20 with a couple bigger birds in there...couldn't make out how big...1 was definitely shootin size though. Headed back Sat and Sun morning to listen/watch and hopefully nail down a pattern a little better than what I already know....I'll be ready MONDAY!!!

Good Luck!

· Registered
39 Posts
Unless you want to get up an hour before daylight to get eaten alive by mosquito's, and poisonous snakes, stay in the bed and wait for next deer season. You can go buy yourself a bird at Winn Dixie and save yourself a lot of time and money and aggravation chasing those crazy birds around the woods.

Nothing's gobbling. Don't think there are even any turkeys around anymore, so stay in your bed's opening weekend and don't go!!!!!

· Registered
2,996 Posts
bossgobbler (3/9/2010)Unless you want to get up an hour before daylight to get eaten alive by mosquito's, and poisonous snakes, stay in the bed and wait for next deer season. You can go buy yourself a bird at Winn Dixie and save yourself a lot of time and money and aggravation chasing those crazy birds around the woods.

Nothing's gobbling. Don't think there are even any turkeys around anymore, so stay in your bed's opening weekend and don't go!!!!!
exactly. no more birds except at winn dixie.

· Registered
385 Posts
bossgobbler (3/9/2010)Unless you want to get up an hour before daylight to get eaten alive by mosquito's, and poisonous snakes, stay in the bed and wait for next deer season. You can go buy yourself a bird at Winn Dixie and save yourself a lot of time and money and aggravation chasing those crazy birds around the woods.

spoken like a true turkey hunter!

· Registered
77 Posts
I can't wait, i have never hunted anything (well ducks once back home when i was 12 or so) but i figure i am missing out on too much so i'm gonna give it a try. The way i see it i can't lose... i am going to see things i never have before (Hopefully turkeys for one...maybe i'll get lucky and see a deer or two and some fox squirrels but just getting out there is going to be good!). Just hearing a gobbler is going to be incredible!

maybe i'll figure out the diaphram call by next season..........

GEAUX TIGERS!!! GEAUX SAINTS!!!! AAAAAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bayou Country (3/9/2010)maybe i'll figure out the diaphram call by next season..........
Get you a slate and a box call...that should get you started for now. Work the mouth call in later. Also, some calling videos and CDs would definitely help.

Tip #1: Don't call too much. Less is better.

· Registered
77 Posts
My buddy at work that i'm going with let me borrow a slate call (it has three different surfaces) and a box call and i have been practicing with those everyday..All this info i have found out about in the last month or so (sub-species, behaviour etc) is just incredible, and i find more every day.

Just read the book Tenth Legion by Tom Kelly. If you haven't read it yet give it a try - it will pump you up!

· Registered
871 Posts
I can't wait! Love turkey season, my favorite type of hunting outside of wanting to hunt elk. If you deer hunt your crazy not to turkey hunt, it is a great time to scout for deer. Every year I find at least one new really good buck spot just from walking around the woods and spending that time in the field. I can't wait to hear the first gobbles, I am going out scouting Eglin tonight.

I have already said way too much, don't want to get too many more guys in on the fun haha.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.