Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, barring lost luggage or not finding a house or something beyond my control, I would like to get the speargun wet that weekend. If no one is going out I was just going to hit up the old pier.

1) How do find it without a GPS? I saw someone had posted that you walk out from some building but I can't find that post.

2) How deep is it?

If anyone else is going out on a short (and shallow) freediving trip, let me know. Depending on the size of my bag that's on it's way I may or may not have my scuba stuff with me.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mr. Bostin (2/4/2010)well if you go to the old peir id be glad to meet up with you

tanner

Yeah, I am thinking it would be a good warm up round. Do you have info on it? Depth, etc. Any good fish that you have seen on there?

·
Registered
71 Posts
no i dont have the numbers on it but i have heard that it is a cool dive, i dont think this weather is ever going to stop. the bays have looked likecrap all winter.

tanner

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
Noone can predict the weather that far in advance. But remember the old saying "the Ides of March" It will be windy mosty likely. If the water is somewhat clear go to Fort Pikins for a nice shore dive. (No spearfishing there).

·
Registered
24 Posts
high tide its no more than 20 ft...and the week youre planning on going it should be loaded with sheepshead...if someone hasnt gotten to em first

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cmauldwin (2/12/2010)its straight out from the flagpole next to the lifeguard building...and inline with the seventeenth set of pilings
Perfect, just what I was looking for.

So what gives down there? I just got my new Riffe in and have been pouring over Terry Mass' book, about to jump out of my skin if I don't get in the water soon, and this morning I hear on NPR that you guys got SNOW last night? We don't even have snow on the ground here right now. Ya'll need to turn on the heat before I get down there!

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Hey AK...send me a PM....hopefully the weather coopaerates and we can get out that saturday. Sunday is the PFF spring fish fry, you don't wanna miss that! Plus, I been getting back to bible studies on Sundays, so my I try not to schedule diving ont sundays...which is hard.

We'll get out there and if this is your first gulf dive spearfishin...yo will have a blast! We got a heater on the boat, and a grill too....some grilled fish in between dives rocks!

·
Registered
518 Posts
CLAY-DOH baby!!!

I have been searching for a BCD, something better than my starter BCD. Ive seen you guys work, your set ups and what might work for me. So I have set off to find me a Hog Harness, BPSS, and Donut set up. Problem withthis is I have never even put one on my virgin shoulders. Im understanding bouyancy more and more with each dive and article I read. My buddies I dive with on the rivers told me to try something else, and they werent sure if I would like a harness set up, Im guessing they had never used one either. So..... This week I found something....

Looking at initial cost in the harness setup and me wanting a speargun.... I found a Zeagle Ranger. On Scubaboard there was a listingin the classifieds for a Zeagle, listed at $500.00...... well when I found it he has already dropped it and dropped it down to 250.00 shipped TYD. So I contacted and called the guy. He said it has only been dove 5 times... and today it arrived at my house and I can assure you it hasnt been dove 6 times! Its brand new! Toss in a Strobe/Light and a dive knife. I am tickle pink like Josh Gays tanks! I just upgraded!

Steve

·
Praedator
10,003 Posts
If the weather is nice, I can get someone out probably around that time. My gills are dried out beyond belief. I have not dove near what I have wanted to this winter. About the only thing we can spear right now is Mangrove, AJ, and a few others. But there is plenty to shoot.

Shoot me a PM and keep in touch. We can see what we can do around that time. I need to dive as much as possible till I am out of here in May.

Steve, you will like that Zeagle Ranger. It has all kinds of hooks and pockets to put things. I dive a Zeagle BC and I am rough on it. But it holds up very nice.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds good. I should have a fair amount of downtime until classes start or until the baby arrives, which ever comes first.

·
Registered
422 Posts
AK, Watch out for that Clay-doh guy, his training was a little drifty to say the least. :moon

But seriously, if the Ides are cooperating, it should be a good weekend. I have a trip building that weekend if you are interested. PM me if you are and I will give you the details. Maybe you will bring some of that nice weather with you. It was a beautiful, but windy, weekend but the temp is dropping again.

Watch out for Clay-doh though :banghead:nonono:shedevil You will never be right again

Thanks for the great pics!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the invites. I am up for getting out with anyone I can while the getting is good. Cabin fever is setting in pretty good up here and I am ready to get out and do something. With school coming and a baby on the way I have a feeling that this summer is going to be pretty slow fishing wise.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
dkDiver was my instructor...so any and all stupid actions I commit are a dirtect result of his training methods....:moon

We are sstill on that weekend if you want coastie...got the motors all sweetened up with new electrnics (again after finding out what we did wrong), new water pumps, impellers, and soon to be rebuilt props and shafts! They are already pulled, should be back in in a week or less. (Thats another story i another post)

·
Praedator
10,003 Posts
Clay-Doh (2/16/2010)dkDiver was my instructor...so any and all stupid actions I commit are a dirtect result of his training methods....:moon

We are sstill on that weekend if you want coastie...got the motors all sweetened up with new electrnics (again after finding out what we did wrong), new water pumps, impellers, and soon to be rebuilt props and shafts! They are already pulled, should be back in in a week or less. (Thats another story i another post)
Something else will break. :doh But I am saying that in the terms of the saying "Break a leg". You know for good luck and I hope everything goes well type of thing. Lord knows, you two goofball captains need it. Hey Clay, Friday is looking good. I might try and get out for an afternoon dive or two if I can. Got to brush the leaves out of the boat and the dust off my gear. It's been too long.

Just be forwarned Coastie. Be prepared for an all day event of wondering what the hell did I get myself into type of thing if you head out with Clay. :letsdrink Good guy to dive with though. I was with him the first time I had a speargun in my hand. So I guess I have to give him some credit.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Yes, be prepared for an all day event, but also be prepared for a heated ride at a stuffy 90 degrees inside, with 360 degree view thru the all glass cabin, 32 foot of rock solid hull to handle any waves, and a cooler full of adult beverages to make the end of the day that much more fun! Both motors are running like champs.

This is the ultimate winter time diving comfort boat.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you'll be hard pressed to get me whining. Our last spearing trip of the year here was 4 big dudes over loaded into a small aluminum skiff heading 40 miles away through Alaskan waters to a river swollen by tons of extra rain this summer. Passed by 4 brown bears to climb to the top of the three tiered waterfall. Spent the next 6 hours in the water trying to spear sockeyes while not getting washed over the falls. Ended up getting 44 fish between two of us in the water and two on land cleaning the catch. Then had to swim out to the middle of this river to catch the two bags of salmon thrown over the falls b/c it was too heavy to walk down the cliff. Then had to float the bags (akabear bait)along with the two of us in wetsuits down the rest of the 1/4 mile of river to make it to the skiff then motor the 40 miles back home. Sitting in a 32 foot heated boat with a cabinall day sounds down right comfy!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts