Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't been out in the boat yet to check them out. Has anyone seen them yet? Can a boat get through?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
A buddy of mine took a 23 World Cat through one a couple weeks ago. Said they bumped a couple times. Also said one of them has some old likings in it possibly from and old road or something. Pic he sent me below
6FD12568-DF21-42D4-A60D-E5258054B510.jpeg

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
They are talking about the south channel that has always been there not cuts from the gulf to big lagoon. There use to be a road from navy station to ft mc rey there is some blacktop on the NE corner of sand island. These last two storms have probably washed all the blacktop away.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,042 Posts
They are talking about the south channel that has always been there not cuts from the gulf to big lagoon. There use to be a road from navy station to ft mc rey there is some blacktop on the NE corner of sand island. These last two storms have probably washed all the blacktop away.
??????? OP is asking about NEW not old.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
The water in that lagoon was only about two to three feet deep before the storm.
Also was full of turtle grass. I am anxious to go out there and see how deep it is now.

You can see the depth on the picture above is 1.5 feet or so. Of course that is from the bottom of the boat. World Cat probly draws 16” or so??

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,234 Posts
If I were a biologist I'd be fascinated by the change in the fishery by the new cuts.

I'll bet they won't last long, not changed by man, but slowly by mother nature. I assume they will be closed by normal wave action in a few months.

I could be wrong though.

Jim

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
I think the tidal flow will keep them open for some time, if not indefinitely.
The drifting sand essentially renourishes the beach in an east to west flow primarily.
The pass will block most of this sand from filling the new passes.
I cannot remember where I read this but it makes sense to me. I would have assumed that the flow of sand to the beach is primarily From west to East, as this is the direction of the prevailing wind here. Apparently this is not the case.

·
Registered
140 Posts
A buddy of mine took a 23 World Cat through one a couple weeks ago. Said they bumped a couple times. Also said one of them has some old likings in it possibly from and old road or something. Pic he sent me below View attachment 1072480
This is me. I went through the middle cut in the picture above that shows all three cuts. The cut to west had already filled in but the other two appeared to be plenty deep to drive through. The cut all the way to east has some pilings in the middle of the channel like there was a bridge or road back in the day. We didn't touch bottom until we hit the surf zone, I'd say the cut was 2-4 feet deep. We also walked around the new island to check out the original lagoon area south of Mcrea. There were two boats very far back in the lagoon area so I think it may be deeper than before because the areas where the water meets the sand has a very steep drop. The water was still pretty dirty but I'd guess at least 3 feet deep or more in the Lagoon area.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
Ok I see it. Probably go out tomorrow from Sherman Cove. Will take a look at it, take some pictures.
Never made it out, syatic nerve got me ouch. Old age is a bastard. Spent the morning helping Ed on Sure Catch pump water out of fuel tank.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If I were a biologist I'd be fascinated by the change in the fishery by the new cuts.

I'll bet they won't last long, not changed by man, but slowly by mother nature. I assume they will be closed by normal wave action in a few months.

I could be wrong though.

Jim
I don't think it will effect the fishery much, because those cuts are so close to the pass. Had the occurred halfway down the island, it would change things, but that close, shouldn't really affect the salinity.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Ok finally took the time to learn to put something on YouTube. Here is the short clip my wife took while we took the boat through the middle cut. Got a little shallow as the water exited the cut on the Gulf side, but we never bumped bottom. It was a high tide and I was drifting with the current on the way out, don't think I could have powered back in through the shallow part without grinding some sand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Went out there today, as one poster said the westernmost cut has filled in but the other two are nice and open, Shallow but tremendous current going through there with the tide falling. Will be interesting to see if they survive very long. A couple of small boats went through without too much trouble and a few folks were fishing. Interesting development!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts