Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed up to the camp this weekend just trying to see if anyone is seeing any rutting yet? For some reasons it always seems like Holmes is the last to start!!? Anyway, anyone around there let me know and I'll do the same when I return from this weekend.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone else hunting up around that way?

I hunted Sat afternoon and saw 3-4 does and a 2 spikes and an 8 point the spikes were running around sniffing the ground everywhere but the 8 point just kind of walked on by. Also my buddy saw a bunch of does and a spike and a nice rack buck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is heating up pretty good at my place north of Bonifay. We are starting to see good activity on our cameras but the weather has been a little washy the last few weekends and that has hurt. I kind of thought it would have started a little earlier this year because we killed three in one day on our place on December 27th and they all were stinking with dark tarsals and out roaming, one even broke a G-2 fighting on the 25th or 26th according to my cam pictures (he was not broken in the last picture but was broken when we shot him). I will not be able to get back out for several days, but I will post what I see. I will also try to post some of the pics of the deer we took to share with you as well. I have none on my work computer so I will have to load them off my brothers laptop when I get a chance. Of the Three we took, 1 was an 9 point that would of scored around 115 with the broken tine and he weighed 195lbs, aged at 4 1/2, another one was a main frame 8 with an extra beam growing from the base that sported three more scoreable points, he was 19 1/2 inches wide and scored close to 130 inches, the sad part of this deer is that I knew him well and he was only a 3 1/2 years old and he weighed 170 lbs, the good thing is that my mother was the one that took him, I would have loved to have seen this deer next year, but a deer like that is tough to pass up, she missed him opening weekend, got lucky and got him in the same spot a month later. The third one was a main frame eight that had a bunch of junk growing from his left base as well, he was 4 1/2 and score's well into the 120's, weighed in at 185 lbs. I still have a few roaming that I would take if given the chance, most of the ones I have been seeing and getting pictures of will have a free pass to next year. We have not gotten any pictures of a buck bigger than three we took on the 27th of December so I must say I have not been after them too hard lately, I have mainly been working on the place, planting some more oaks and getting everything ready for the spring and summer planting period. I do plan on making a couple more hunts on my place before the season ends, you never know what might have moved in and replaced these dominant bucks during the breeding season. My dad did have a nice racked buck follow a doe into a clover field last Friday, he said it was a good buck but he just did not have enough light or time to accurately tell how big he was or if it was a deer that is on the pass list, said he thought it could have been a new buck but he just did not have the time or light to make an accurate decision. Sorry so long, just rarely post on here and thought you might like to know how it has been going on my piece of Holmes County Heaven.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was just west of Bonifay this past weekend and saw 12 does and 1 spike. Nothing chasing the does at all. Spike seemed to be lost, very nervous and looking over his should the entire time. I did see a few good/fresh scrapes on Sunday morning, but no new rubs. Good luck, the weather this week is either going to hit or miss.

·
Registered
25 Posts
been a little slow on my place lately, no big buck sitings but I have only hunted 2 days, I plan on wrapping it up this weekend so hopefully I can have something good to report next week. The weather is going to be pretty good for the next week and that should really help the deer movement. I would think the plots will be the place to be in the evenings and the trails into bedding areas in the mornings should be rocking. Good luck and get a big one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts