Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m thinking of ordering some Rtic Ice. (The blue plastic containers filled with some kind of gel.)
Anybody use the stuff?
Is it any better than a frozen 2 liter Coke bottle?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
My understanding is that with those things it is very important not to have any space in the cooler. Meaning you have to have a few of the yeti ice and then fill the cooler up with drinks, food, etc. for them to work as advertised... No open spaces.

·
Super Moderator
28,373 Posts
My ole lady buys those meal kits online alot and I have used the freezer packs several times and they hold up pretty good. After a few uses they will get soft spots and eventually break open and leave a gel mess but I think the packs would work well also.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
My RTIC makes it's own ice.....

·
Super Moderator
7,055 Posts
I think it will be hard to beat block ice on the bottom of your cooler with crushed/cubed layered as you kill stuff.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,555 Posts
20lbs of ice for a $1.50.

I carry 3 20lb bags of ice with me every time. After the first fish caught.

1. Open bag and a half dump into cooler.
2. Add 3 gallons of fresh gulf water.
3. Submerge fish in brine freezing water. (fish dies super fast)
4. When more fish is added and need more ice bust open last bag and a half and dump in. (keep fish in brine at all times, add gulf water as needed but not to soupy)
5. On the way back home, pull the plug on the cooler to drain water out.

When you open the cooler to clean fish you will see all of their mouths are filled with ice and are super cold and packed in the ice evenly. Then you will not see white spots on your snappers that were not covered by ice on the way home.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,173 Posts
I use a couple in my 40 qt RTIC soft cooler when I travel. Then I half fill with ice and drinks, etc.

Probably not the best way to use them, but they help keep things cold longer.

The ice lasts a lot longer. Anything that touches the gel packs will freeze pretty quickly but they don't seem to freeze water as it melts from ice, but the water stays cold.

If that makes any sense...

Jim

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I just use coke bottles with water frozen to use and small blocks of ice I make in tupperware containers always handy

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I use one in my hopper 30. As the ice melts the yeti ice refreezes it and i get a block of ice at the bottom. The cooler stays colder at least twice as long.than without it.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’ve been doing like MaxxT, freezing water in miscellaneous containers and using the block ice but this Rtic ice would be really handy to have in the freezer.
Sounds like it’s best used as a supplement to the regular ice.
Heck, I think I’ll give it a shot while it’s on sale plus I have a discount code.
Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have several of the artic Ice things. Mostly 5lb. It does take a lot of them if you aren't going to use Ice with them. In my 55qt igloo sportsman It took 4. I bought these when we had a little guy camper with no fridge. If we added ice to the cooler when the ice melted and came in contact with the artic ice It would refreeze the water where it touched the plastic.
I use a 2.5lb everyday for my lunch.
I'm not sure it is an ice replacement if that is what you are looking for.

I used it in my AO soft cooler with ice and beer on a kayak trip and the beers froze when the ice melted and I broke several beers trying to get them unstuck.

This is what I'm talking about
https://arctic-ice.com/products/chillin-brew

1 - 13 of 13 Posts