Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows how to play Rook and if you still do. Seems like this game has gone on the way side over the last 30 years. I love it because as far as card games go it is like opra. I like spades and can handle with the best but all the smack talk that goes on it is like RAP and Punk Rock. LOL

I remember back in the days as a kid every Sat. night we loaded up with the parents and went to someones house our they came to our house and the adults played rook and the kids to what kids do.

I like poker but suck at it and it cost money and tempers flair in spades if someone tries to talk crap to you and you talk it back and bet them but Rook never seemed to be that way. It seemed like only the PARTNERS had words or Didn't talk to each other. LOL.

ANyone remember this game???

I learned at the age of 5 or 6 how to play sitting in my dad's lap at the games and was a pretty strong player even in H.S. All the other kids didn't know how to play it because they were from the city but I played with folks that my parents played with and a lot of older folks from around the community.

Would like to try to play a game or two again every once in a while if anyone knows how to play it. Spades is a spin off of rook I would assume, that is why spades is so easy to me but for some reason folks seemed to take spades more serious then Rook When they lose. LOL

·
Registered
6,190 Posts
Played many a hand. We have sat for many hours playing. Remember the game quite well. Haven't played ina number ofyears, not sure if we still have a deck.

·
eating tasty
3,753 Posts
I love Rook!!! I learned last August 06 in Costa Rica and spent an entire month there playing it every night after surfing... we had 4 people in our group, we got very competitive! Have not played since, its not easy to find people as passionate about it as we were :)

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
played it every weekend for years at my grandparents house

I guess it's probably been 30 years since the last time I played

·
Super Moderator
5,901 Posts
I still play. On rainy, crappy days when we are caught up at work particulary.......

·
Registered
802 Posts
Been a while but remember it being really fun. I like Hearts better than Spaids but seems like hardly anyone plays Hearts. All we play is Phase 10 anymore since usually have a bunch of folks and it's easy for first timers to catch on.

Might have to play some cards this weekend now.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
Dang Murph, we must have been in same neighborhood. We started playing Rook after we got rich enough to buy a deck (finally got to retire the home-made checker board and bottle caps). But same scene, go to someone's house on Saturday night and play rook.

I haven't played rook in several years; played spades.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Haven't played in 3-4 years probably, but still have a deck or two and know where they are. Learned to play in my late high school, early college years. What is now my wife, her cousin Travis and what is now his wife Melanie would get together several times a year and play. We also played some while in the service, imagine that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts