Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Call me crazy but I loved being able to catch 100% natural table fare and I have a hard time wanting to eat anything out of the bay or gulf anymore, is it safe? opinions?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I ate some specks caught at the mouth of the Mobile River last week. There is probably more pollution in that river then anyone would imagine from all the ship yards, industry, etc. and just wait untill TK comes on line, we'll really see some heavy metal action flowing into Mobile Bay. Add the BP gusher to the mix and it will be a toxic mess. I've already got a bunch of mercury flowing through my veins, a lttle dispersant might be just what the Dr. ordered.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
<span id=ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl05_lblFullMessage>With approximately 650 quatrillion gallons of water in the GOM, I figure it will be safe to consume seafood for another "few days". I plan to eatthe shovel nosed lobsters I caught yesterday off Destin.

·
Registered
8,989 Posts
I've heard the same. Also heard that the only place the oil could actually store is in the liver. Anybody eat fishliver? Have also been told that the impact from the oil on the fish population would not be on the fish that arealivenow but on there eggs for this year. The fish that were to behatched this year will not be. I hope it's not many of them.. This info was coming from the Dauphin Isl. Sea Lab but this is gonna be one of those wait and see deals. I don't think anyone really knows for sure.

·
Hunt, Fish, Race, repeat!
56 Posts
I agree on the whole liver thing. Atleast that is what I have heard and it makes sense to me. Isn't that where toxins are supposed to be filtered out of any body? Besides I would think that if the fish was polluted to the point that it might make me sick I wouldn't have caught it because the fish would have been dead... just my thought. We limited on specs this weekend and they will be dinner tomorrow so I guess I will see come thursday huh! lol

·
Registered
369 Posts
Hell yes Snapper from the gulf and crab from the perdido bay.Damn I ate striped bass out of the HUDSON RIVER when I was a kid so far not sick or dead yet ..Bring on the seafood!!!!!

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Had some bay grouper and snapper last night. No side effects aside from the usual dizzyness,blurred vision,unbalanced walking and falling down. Oh wait,thats from drinkin too much while on vacation! Tasted fine to me and gonna kill some more tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts