Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love Blowfish. This rig catches them by the dozens and doesn't get torn up in the process.

If you've never eaten Blowfish, you have missed one of the best fish you'll ever eat. A big plus, is that they are an un-regulated species which means there is no size or bag limit. Fis for these tasty, pain-in the butt" fish and take pressure off other species that probably aren't nearly as good to eat. Of course, I've caught lots of other species on it too. Simple and cheap to make and is practically indestructible. Triggerfish love it too.

If anybody is interested, I'll post some photos.

·
Registered
7,895 Posts
Pufferfish. ... Almost all pufferfish contain tetrodotoxin, a deadly toxin that is up to 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide. The poison in one pufferfish is enough to wipe out 30 humans, and there's no known antidote. Yet, many people eat it.
I've cleaned them and ate them before I knew this. Not so many anymore. Be careful!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I believe, and I'm 100% confident that if I'm wrong, someone will correct me; but...

I think it's one of the organs in the blowfish that contains the toxins - so, when you clean it WHATEVER YOU DO, DON'T GET INTO THE GUTS. If you pierce the gut cavity, then you gonna die!!!

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Easy to clean safely.

Make a cut at the back of the head. grasp the skin with pliers and skin it back all the way to the tail. All organs are exposed. You can strip out the organs with your fingers withour damaging them. Once you get rid of the organs, simply cut off head and tail and fry. Yes, definitely, if you get any green or yellow stuff on the meat, discard the whole fish. I can't remember ever doing it, however.

Another caution! Make sure the Blowfish are dead. They bite very hard.

I'll make a Monica Rig after lunch. Headed to AmVet in a few minutes for a pigout. Great way to spend Veteran's Day. Much better than fishing in a crowd.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts