Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a new or used safe. Anybody have one or have a recommendation for one? Nothing more than 24 long guns, but smaller would work as well.

·
Super Moderator
12,520 Posts
I see several on Facebook marketplace. A 24gun will be small enough 2 people can handle it pretty easy.

A few suggestions I'll make...

buy bigger than what you think you need. A 24 gun safe might be able to hold 24 broom sticks... realistically it will hold 10 deer rifles.
Get digital/keypad entry. God forbid you need to get in there in a hurry... a dial combo is hard to open under pressure.
Fire rating, get the best you can. Chances of your house catching fire is far greater than your house getting broken in to.
Bolt it to the floor. All safes can be accessed with 30 minutes and an angle grinder to the rear wall. Bolt it down, or buy one big enough and put enough stuff in it that it can't be flipped over.
Paper documents. Store all important paperwork in ziploc bags... safes are not water tight, and if your house catches fire, the fire departments will focus that hose on the safe, forcing water in at the door. (Also if you're in a flood zone)

I bought a Liberty fatboy jr (48 gun) from Mike's. Great service, they delivered, and I'm very happy with it. (Just wish it was bigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Everything above is true. Mike's or Scott's has them. Do same as cash if need be.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I may have one soon still trying to make up my mind if I want to keep it and just get another one or just go all in on a safe to fit it all. All above is true (I can attest personally) and I wish I would have listened as we keep all sorts of stuff in mine from guns to reels to cameras and you run out of room quick. Shoot me a PM and I’ll let you know in about a week what my plan is if your interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Apex
1,352 Posts
I bought the 24 with a dial. I like it but wish I had bought different. Only upside is the wife not knowing the combination or if you have upped your investments. Buy bigger and don’t buy dial.

·
Registered
8,265 Posts
I've got a Liberty 36 with a dial which I read is much more reliable. Any gun that I need to access quickly is not in the safe so it taking a minute more to open is no big deal to me.
Whichever you get (dial or keypad) get the S&G brand which is on most of the better safes anyway.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I bought one two black Friday’s ago at academy. Saved a ton of money. I think it’s a 60 gun with a significant fire rating (as a career firefighter with 15 years I know how much just a closed door to a bedroom or closet can help) I think I paid $599. I needed 5 guys and 2 dollys to get it inside!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
As others have said, buy about double the capacity you think you'll need.
As for the dial vs. digital combo, I like my dial... no batteries to change.

·
Super Moderator
19,482 Posts
I get probably 3-4 years out of a battery. Not really an issue.

·
Clint aka noworyz
58 Posts
Agree with both, buy bigger & dial.... don't buy for the number of guns you have today because most of us are constantly looking for 1 more good deal on a gun... Safe is also perfect for a few additional irreplaceable $$$ items that take up a tad of space not usually considered.

Dial, will always open..... always!!!! no dead batteries, no leaking batteries & no frustrating electronics issues... besides, if you plan properly, you'll never need that few seconds you'll save with a keypad... your home defense weapon shouldn't be locked in your safe...

good luck with whichever you go....

·
DROP TINE BUCK
5,789 Posts
Can you tell me why.

Read the reviews. I know of 2 people getting locked out of theirs and had to get a locksmith to open them (by drilling holes in various places) only to never lock again without costly repairs, they do not stand behind their warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts