Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about going out on the kayak around 1 or 130 today and troll for kings, etc. Anyone going to be out around Pensacola or Navarre? Give me a call at 8503802026. Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I wish. Good luck out there though! Looks like the last good day as far as the forecast goes out. Winds pick up tomorrow and don't look to let up for sometime.(which sucks because I have Thursday-Sunday off of work).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I wish. Good luck out there though! Looks like the last good day as far as the forecast goes out. Winds pick up tomorrow and don't look to let up for sometime.(which sucks because I have Thursday-Sunday off of work).
I'm in the same situation was planning on leaving Birmingham Alabama tomorrow afternoon to come down for the weekend but those 20 to 25 mile an hour winds are giving me second thoughts

·
Registered
62 Posts
We are headed down from Bham area tomorrow afternoon regardless. I see the winds but looking at magicseeweed surf forcast they show flat. Is that even possible?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Swellinfo says flat through the next week, even when other forecasts say 2-4 in that same timeframe. You never know, but I'd plan to look for protected water. I wouldn't make a trip if not doing btb well ruin it for you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is 8 of us been planning this trip a couple months. Hopefully things will work out. If it is rough maybe we can find some red fish and specks in a bay somewhere around there. If not guess we will be holding rails down on the pier.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
DO NOT GO! The north winds are probably the most dangerous winds for yakkers. This is why offshore kayak fishing isnt for people with out basic knowledge of our local weather and how it effects the Gulf. Just because you bought a kayak doesnt mean you just willy nilly do something as dangerous as offshore kayak fishing. Yes, we all started kayak fishing somehow but as for myself, I had fished these waters my whole life before jumping in a dangerous, unstable plastic craft.

Think about it. Youre in a small plastic boat. The area beaches face roughly the south. The Gulf doesnt have a consistent swell direction as our waves are greatly effected by the winds coming from different directions. A strong north wind will, if you think about it hard enough, blow the waves south...away from the beach so of course the surf will be flat. If that wind can blow millions of tons of water and flatten it out, what do you think its going to do to a light plastic boat sitting on the water?! I hope you brought your passport and luckily they just opened up travel to Cuba because thats going to be your next stop!

Seriously, the winds that we are about to get (if the forecast is true and lately theyve been off...by underestimating the winds) are nothing to mess with.

With the growth of offshore kayak fishing in our area Im seeing more and more people risking their lives over a fish. Just a couple of weeks ago we had some guys spend 18hrs afloat because they couldnt get back on a north wind and it took awhile for the USCG to find them. About a week before that we had another rescue off Navarre Beach where some one couldnt make it back but luckily the Navarre Beach FD got to them in their Jet Ski pretty quickly. It wont be long until some else gets killed again on a north wind.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So whats the inshore fishing like in Navarre? Would we be best to go to the mouth of a river feeding the sound or a bay there close to find specks and reds? Or would the bays be calm enough to enter in kayaks around 3 mile bridge for bull reds maybe or trolling for kings? Our place to stay is booked so guess we need a backup plan quick.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Inshore is starting to turn on. Stay on the north side of the sound. A good place to put in is the road right beside Broxsons Outdoors where it dead ends at the water.

3MB will be a no go, that bay gets more dangerous then the Gulf it seems like.

Another option will be shore line park in Gulf Breeze. You can put in there (please dont use the boat ramp) and work all of the docks and grass flats around there. Again, stay on the north side of the sound out of the wind.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
It appears they've upgraded the winds for pretty much the entire extended forecast. Good thing the Flounder are biting I guess.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm supposed to be in Navarre kayak fishing for kings next Thursday and Friday and the forecast says 7mph and 8mph winds on Thursday and Friday. Should I be worried?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, those North winds are no joke. Have thought about calling the USCG on one occasion and vowed never to get in that situation again. Hope you guys have a good time while down here and get some good fish. I was able to get one King yesterday. The bait was really scarse.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So if the weather for next Thursday says 7 mph winds, that's bad and I probably shouldn't go then? It's just hard for me to come any weekend as I live in Atlanta.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
7-8 mph is probably fine. I would go out in that. It'd also depend on the wave height and period between waves that'd play into that decision. Also, things can change in a week. Maybe for the good, but also for the bad. Sometimes you just have to adapt and go in the bay if it's rough out.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The surf forecast that I usually use and is pretty accurate is saying there'll be 3.5 ft waves in the morning next thursday. This may just be the surf, but you still have to get past them. With a full load of gear, I'd be really wary of going out in that big of seas. But like I said earlier, things change.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts