Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning # 2 had me down where I heard the Gobbles on day 1. Corner of a 75 yds wide creek and the river. 4 gobblers roosted just across the creek gobbling their heads off. None on my side of the creek. They started just after first light and I yelped just before sunup. Two answered immediately. And I just shut up. I just knew they would sail across the creek and into my lap. One walked the bank on the other side gobbling but wouldn’t come over for nearly 30 minutes. After he quit I walked the 100 yds to the creek and realized it was so foggy on the water I couldn’t see the other side. I wonder if they were scared to fly to where the couldn’t see?? Any advice?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Turkeys don't like to fly across water(fog or no fog). You might get lucky sounding like a sex crazed hen. I would get to the other side of that creek tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turkeys don't like to fly across water(fog or no fog). You might get lucky sounding like a sex crazed hen. I would get to the other side of that creek tomorrow.

Cant hunt other side- when I’m fishing I see them fly across all the time but only this time of year. Same spot every time. I’m lucky to just sound like a turkey.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
be more patient..They will have hens with them early in the morning most likely.... Saturday I watched a gobbler for an hour strut with 4 hens and there was no pulling him away right then... I stayed with him and shot him 4 hours later when he came back looking for me ... or as Ben Lee once told me.... the easiest and quickest way to shoot a gobbler is in the tree, once he leaves roost it’s a crapshoot....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
creeks can be tough. maybe try to mix in a couple gobbles with the hen calls make them think they have some competition on that side. I killed one across a creek one time got him to strut out onto the sand bar but he would not cross. Crawled up to the bank and shot him across and waded over to him. But i was legal to hunt both sides if you have any sandbars on your side could set some decoys and a gobbler decoy out on the sandbar WELL before daylight and set up try get them pitch out onto the sandbar if they can see it from their roost. But more than anything it is just a patience thing. Keep after em. call from different spots using different calls. Call a lot. Call a little. Gobble. Get right on the creek call some then back off like the hen is leaving. If you can go flush em off the roost right after dark make em spread out and you might can get one across while they try to group back up the next morning. That is what is so great about turkey hunting. Its all in the challenge of figuring them out. One day they come running in and the next they wont budge.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Fifty pounds of cracked corn on your side of the creek will call him across.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts