Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife just bought one for me and although I will mainly use it for yaking out shark baits, I would like to also utilize it for fishing trips. I have used a Plican sit-in many times, but never a Sit On Top.

I read this section quite often and really would like to try not only some inshore fishing, but also venture out in the Gulf. However, since I am new to offshore kayak fishing, I would like to go with at least 1 other person on the first trip.

Thanks for any and all help!

Gary

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Its a good starter yak. Really stable but doesnt track the best and its far from the fastest out there. It does well in the surf too so its perfect for yaking out baits.

I used mine over the winter to spear fish from. Very easy climbing in and out in water that you cant cant touch bottom.

Being that it is slow, it takes more strokes to go the same distance as some of the faster yaks. Before I upgraded, my buddy's Pescador was MUCH faster then my OK Scrambler stroke for stroke and the Pescador is no speed demon. So, as long as youre in decent shape, venturing a little offshore is no problem with that yak. I just wouldnt head three miles out on a North wind. hehe

Pretty much any weekend its calm there will be someone heading out of Navarre Beach, show up and go.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JD! I have read some reviews and see how many claim is doesnt track as well as others and isnt as quick either. I feel I am in pretty good shape and have no problem doing a little paddle.

I am going to put it in the water Saturday morning if the weather allows, and maybe just hit some of the grass flats. That way if I have any issues I could just wade to shore. ;o)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Congrats man, it'll be miles better than your pelican! For fishing the gulf, start out simple: 1 - 2 rods and a minimum of tackle and be sure to tie everything down in case you roll in the surf. Pick and choose your days, only go out on really calm days the first couple times to get used to the surf. If it's bumpy, just leave all the gear at home of in the vehicle and practice launching and landing a few times to get comfortable.

Also, WEAR YOUR PFD, WEAR YOUR PFD, WEAR YOUR PFD!!! Things happen way to fast to pull your PFD out from under bungees and don it while SHTF! Also, doesn't matter how good a swimmer you are if you get flipped, and your yak lands on your head and knocks you out. Your PFD will keep you at the surface and visible till someone can pull you out. First few times you go, go somewhere there are lifeguards on duty.

Good luck!
Alex

1 - 4 of 4 Posts