Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for the best,Not an amateur.Dont care about the money just want a good job.I have the head hanging in a walk in cooler.How long can i leave it in there?Is it ok to put in freezer till i drop it off?Its a 2 hr drive back to gulf breeze so it will have to sit in cooler and might start to thaw out.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Yep freeze it. Only two people I would take it to and that's Michael cole and chad cooper. Both do great work and most everyone on here will agree.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Who ever u take the it to they are just gonna throw it back in a freezer until they are ready to work on it. Did u keep enough of the cape?

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Who ever u take the it to they are just gonna throw it back in a freezer until they are ready to work on it. Did u keep enough of the cape?
a guy at the camp has done over 2 dozen so he cut head off for me.he knew what he was doing.theres about 3 feet of skin hanging down from the head

·
PFF Official Referee
5,244 Posts
For the love of Squirrel and dumplins... Please take it to Lord Chad Cooper... The Duke of Taxi...

And get the full shoulder mount, not the neck mount. You will NOT be disappointed.....

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For the love of Squirrel and dumplins... Please take it to Lord Chad Cooper... The Duke of Taxi...

And get the full shoulder mount, not the neck mount. You will NOT be disappointed.....
Ive seen the monts put on poles and really not crazy about it.I would like a nice wall mount .shoulder mount on the wall would be ok with me.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
You should have plenty then. You can go to any of the taxis around and they should have some work hanging in their shops. I know chad cooper does and he is amazing at it and also a great guy to deal with. I've seen some of coles work and he does great too. I don't think you could go wrong with either of them.

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Wirelessly posted

I've always put mine in the freezer before taking them to the taxidermist. Any of the local well known guys will do you right.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
You actually have a very good taxidermist right down the road from your camp. Go down 263 to Braggs and go right on 21 about 6 miles or so. Bill Jones is his name and he has a store on the right also called Bill Jones store. Very reasonable and very good. I've done over 1000 mounts myself and I would put his up against anybody.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You actually have a very good taxidermist right down the road from your camp. Go down 263 to Braggs and go right on 21 about 6 miles or so. Bill Jones is his name and he has a store on the right also called Bill Jones store. Very reasonable and very good. I've done over 1000 mounts myself and I would put his up against anybody.
I hope the prices are not the same as his store cause 850 for a pack of smokes and 4 dollars a gallon for gas.His prices are the highest i have ever seen in any convenience store.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I hope the prices are not the same as his store cause 850 for a pack of smokes and 4 dollars a gallon for gas.His prices are the highest i have ever seen in any convenience store.
Oh yea his store is high as a giraffes ass. His son does the taxidermy and is very reasonable. Regardless who you use don't freeze it if your taking it tomorrow because he's gonna skin it if the head and just freeze the cape and hang the horns up on a rack. Also don't let it sit in the cooler too long because blood on the hide will cause the hair to slip especially if hung upside down.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Tommy knight did my last one and did an awesome job. I have seen Coles work and he does really nice work too. I can't speak for some of the others. Attention to detail around the eyes, nose and mouth are very important, it can make or break a good job in my opinion. Nice kill by the way.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts