Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be there June 13-20 and would like to go out in the gulf a bit and sound side. I've been on the ocean the last two years for a week at a time so I'm not completely green, but know I'm not going to able to keep up with a Hobie. I will also be doing some shark fishing at least a couple nights off the beach.

Would love to go out with someone who really knows what they are doing.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I still paddle yak. Ask Jason (JD7.62) or any other Hobie guys I've fished with if I can "keep up" with them. In rough seas I honestly feel it's faster.

Regardless of Which type of yak, both can catch fish out there. I fish over there here and there but I'm sure one of the Navarre locals will chime in.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try to hook up with Jason for a day if my wife will let me. Still haven't talked her into it. :(

How would my kayak keep up. It's a clone of the OK scrambler XL

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I fish out of a ws TARPON 14s when in the mood - give me a shout when you get closer to the window. I'll be home and off as well.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I use to own a Scrambler and I agree, it's not the fastest yak in the world but still a good little boat.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Other than for bottom fishing, a decent paddle yak will blow a Hobie out of the water, especially if there is any wind. I've seen it first hand with Chris and me. I couldn't even remotely come close to keeping up with him! Staging over a small reef the peddle yaks do have the advantage IMO.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hey john. I'm going to be down there the same week. I'm from MS. I'm about the same as you as far as experience kayaking in the gulf. I'd love for you to tag along with me and the old man. I'm 31 and he's 60. We usually do pretty good on the kings and spanish. Where are you keeping your kayak while you're there? Shoot me a text 601 580 two seven 69

1 - 10 of 10 Posts