Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's kind of a long story but the jist is that I offered to buy in on a spot on my brothers lease he talked me out of saying I can hunt with him for free whenever I wanted. Well that was last year and this year his business is so bad that he's not hunting. Now I'm not hunting. Is it too late to get in on any leases? I'm willing to look at Ga, Al or Fl. All I really want is some does. I don't eat horns and there is no way my wife would allow a mount in the house. If anything I would only hunt a small buck for the rack for rattling. And to be honest I can buy a rack bag and be just as happy. I'm looking for the hunting experience and some freezer meat. I don't need a trophy. I recently moved back to Florida from texas and I work out of the area so I don't really have any local friends to hook me up with any contacts, just you guys.

I'm also kind of looking for a family oriented lease. M sons will be old enough soon to start camping and hunting and a place that allows off season camping would be great, but not a deal breaker.

I can be the hunter that takes the undesireables, spikes and does. I've got time to meet if you want a face to face over lunch or a beer just give me a shout, David 281-414-3048, I live in GB, Thanks.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Barnacle Brain HMMMMMMM, the name fits, around here we want the young bucks to walk & only take the number of does the biologist recomends, we can have horns on our wall, we have point rules & spread rules, most of all we wear the pants in our house. Are you from around here??????? Rattling... that only works up yonder, have you ever harvested anything & with what bow or gun & where? Actually its very hard to find a club, most do not get out if its a good club ( managed right ). Good Luck.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually no, I'm not from <U>this</U> far north. I was born and raised in west central Florida, you know "way down south". I'm used to hunting in Ga, where there is a 10 doe bag , mainly because of the insurance rates (collisions with deer) due to the overpopulation of reproducing female deer, AKA does. I have hunted for about 10 years now with my first deer shot in central texas. The rest being harvested in Volusia county, Fla and Ga. Actually I have never shot a buck, I've always thought that the does were more tender, seeing how I only hunt for food that will work as good reasoning for me. I also am well aware of the relationship with biologists. I also am well aware of the debate of the spike deer in the herd and wether or not they grow to contribute to the gene pool of monster buck genetics, the debate continues.

I hunt with shotgun and a 7mm win mag which I have found to be very useful on all sizes of game, depending on shot placement. I would love to learn the bow but won't until I have a good solid place I know I can access on a regular basis.

Thanks Msstdog, I appreciate the links.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
my hats off to you sir if i had land i would invite you to go with me.I read what you first wrote and knew someone would be bringing you to the gallows.Welcome to Pensacola

·
Banned
369 Posts
Saw this add on craigslist....

"Hunting club near I-65 in Brewton, AL needs 2 members. If interested please call Steven @ 850-336-0408 or e-mail [email protected]"

Figured you may want to call them.....or anyone else for that matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Why is it that someone always thinks they have the better way of thinking and doing things than others. It never fails. I was on another forum where a guy stuck a buck by a feeder. The very first response was something about......."Is it legal to bait in OK? i don't know just asking. That's not hunting to me." .......Who gives an Att's Rass?! Hunt the way you want and leave everybody else alone. One way is NOT better than the other. I killed my first 26 years ago and still can't eat the horns. I'll cook'em a little longer I guess.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know it's late in the season to get on a lease with a bunch of guys that don't know me. I will be looking into the craigslist ad, Thanks for that.

I will gladly do "interviews" with anyone who is considering taking on another member. And I'll pay for the beer. I understand that there are different mentalities and personalitiesrelated to management.

I hope to see some ads on here come spring for some lease spots. I would rather be on with you guys than some others. But I want meat this year so I will take what I can get. As long as I can shoot it.

I have a friend in Lafayette that is making me a long bow. I can't wait. Problem is I am left eye dominate and right handed. But I promised myself that I wouldn't shoot a compound bow until I am well versed with the long bow. Baby steps.

Thanks guys, I will still be looking.

4,058 Posts
I'd be happy to take you. Check the hunting forum on the old forum, look for the thread entitled "who wants to shoot my deer?"

As for the "guy that shoots undesirables, spikes, does," haha, there are no undesirables at my place. They're either shooters (8 point or more, inside spread OUTSIDE the ears) or they're not. No questions asked. And I'm not gonna tell you you can't rattle one up either. Who's to say whether or not that works down here. Hell, it may just be one of those things that some people are so afraid to try, that they just condemn it. Not gonna lie, you got a dick response from "one big one." PM me for more details. I welcome kids as well. That's what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
David Ridenour (10/24/2007)Barnacle, take Woody (Hoo) up on his offer! He's offered and taken members to his place and has made some real memories. I'm hoping to take my son down this year for his first deer hunt.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38700&posts=13

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=38669&start=1

Woody, hats off to you sir for a stand up invitation. Even if I don't get to huntwith youI would be honored to meet you one day.

I agree!!!!He has done a GREAT thing inviting forum members to hunt at his place....and too will be honored to meet him one day soon.:toast:bowdown

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, I sent Woody a PM and will take him up on his offer. Thanks also for everyones responses and offers. I'mstoked to hunt andmeet Woody and all you others who will be taking advantage of his kindness. The temperature is really dropping now and the fever of the hunt is setting in. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
149 Posts
<SPAN id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl5_lblFullMessage>Barnacle, that was a pretty good response, not sure I could have shown that much tact.......

I second that ..great response .

·
Registered
355 Posts
Barnacle Brain (10/24/2007)I'mstoked to hunt andmeet Woody.
Jeremy Grey: I mean like, hunt a human being right now, "Most Dangerous Game". Like a worthy adversary. Not a human being that's armed, but a clever, a clever, human being who knows the jungle. Or the woods

:poke

1 - 19 of 19 Posts