Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in a nutshell
I rented a house last year. No lease. Verbal agreement. The owner wanted to keep utilities in his name when I asked he quoted me the rent but never said anything about utilities. I paid the agreed rent every month. I was there a year and he never said anything about utilities the entire time so I assumed it was all covered with the rent I was paying. One day I get a package in the mail with copies of power and water bills and he wants back pay for almost a years worth of utilities. I wasn’t prepared for this. I have since moved out. Now he is threatening to take me to court for unpaid utilities.
Any advice? Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
So in a nutshell
I rented a house last year. No lease. Verbal agreement. The owner wanted to keep utilities in his name when I asked he quoted me the rent but never said anything about utilities. I paid the agreed rent every month. I was there a year and he never said anything about utilities the entire time so I assumed it was all covered with the rent I was paying. One day I get a package in the mail with copies of power and water bills and he wants back pay for almost a years worth of utilities. I wasn’t prepared for this. I have since moved out. Now he is threatening to take me to court for unpaid utilities.
Any advice? Thoughts?

You summed it up in your second statement in my opinion. A lease Is a contract that spells out the Terms that both parties would need to agree to or simply not enter onto...
In the absence of a lease, How would a third party determine if the terms of a verbal agreement has been broken when there are different opinions about it's terms?

PS:................"Any lawyers here? Or stay at a holiday inn express last night?".................. For the Record... I passed out By the Pool at a Holiday Inn once.

Reactions: huntnflorida

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,071 Posts
IDK, but who paid the utilities during that year? If the owner did, then I would assume as you, utilities were included, otherwise, he'd told you after the 2nd month that you were responsible for the utilities. But if you left the doors/windows wide open, a/c running set at 60 degrees, and left all the lights on 24/7 excessively using the power, then I think you'd be partially responsible. But seriously, who rents anything without asking if utilities are included or not?
Karma is a Bitch.....

·
Registered
1,694 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I moved in February 2018. I asked about utilities and he said he would keep them in his name and do a month to month with no lease cause he wanted to sell the place but wasn’t sure when.
I got a letter in December 2018 with power and water bills for February through October he already paid, and wanted reimbursed for. So I was surprised and pissed because I hadn’t budgeted for that. Not to mention it was just about Christmas time. I’ve learned my lesson to get everything in writing but now I’m torn and feel kinda bad because although he isn’t a true friend, he was kind to me when I asked if he would consider renting the place. Just feel like he wasn’t upfront about the utilities for 10 months then hit me with a whammy. The guy is scatter brained and wouldn’t cash my rental checks for months sometimes. Just not sure what to do here. I’m a LEO, don’t make a lot of money and want to do the right thing but damn...I Will probably call the lawyer suggested earlier to get some direction.
Thanks for the input

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Those bills are in his name, it was his idea to keep it in his name, there’s an agreed upon rent rate, and nothing in writing about you paying those bills. If he wanted to offset money spent on HIS utilities, then that should have been in the price, it’s no more complicated than that, to me anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I completely understand trying to do the right thing and feeling bad because he was kind to you and gave you a place to stay without a lease, but at the same time he can't expect you to pay for something that he said he would keep in his name and take care of. If he had come to you before about maybe helping him out a bit, then it would be nice of you to consider that. But him throwing months of bills at you and requesting compensation that wasn't agreed for you to be paying is rude and practically extortion on his part by threatening to take you to court over it. He would lose anyway.

·
Registered
3,750 Posts
Suing ain't free...sounds like hes all of the sudden in need of money...call his bluff
Non-attorney spokesperson*

Not sure how much different it is in FL than it is in AL but small claims court is something like $75. If the guy really wants to push it, he may take this route just to see if something sticks against the wall.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts