Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
If your buddy with the ROV can get us some pics of the deepwater crabs that look like a snowcrab and the deepwater shrimp that live @ 5000' in the gulf of mexico

I understand the shrimp are really cool looking somewhat like the pic you posted they are aero dynamic.........and look more like a space creature than a shallow water shrimp

I would like to see the pics

and if they can capture some, I would like to know if we can have a few to test.

I know all the attempts to catch them for commercial use have failed, but I like to taste and know whats down there

can you get more pics?

If they are private .........please contact by PM or email

·
Super Moderator
27,927 Posts
That is a wicked looking critter.....Good pics and thanks fer posting....:letsdrink

·
Registered
13,320 Posts
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/30/terrifying-sea-critter-from-oceans-depths/?test=faces[/url]

As found on the above link in todays Fox News:<P nodeIndex="1">A submarine exploring the ocean's depths recently returned with an unexpected visitor: a crablike critter that has left many readers startled and horrified.<P nodeIndex="2">In a posting to social bookmarking site Reddit, a deep-sea technician detailed the finding, asking the site's readers to help identify what exactly the bizarre looking creature was.<P nodeIndex="3">The post reads, "I work for a Sub-sea Survey Company, recently this beast came up attached to one of our ROVs. It measures a wee bit over 2.5 feet head to tail, and we expect it latched onto the ROV at roughly 8,500 feet depth. Unfortunately, the e-mail that these pictures were attached to came from a contractor, and the ship he was operating from (and therefore location) is unknown, so I can't tell you what part of the Earth this beast was living."<P nodeIndex="4">The pictures reveal the creature to be a giant isopod, a large crustacean that dwells in deep Atlantic and Pacific waters. This particular creature is a Bathynomus giganteus, a deep-sea scavenger that feeds on dead whales, fish and squid.<P nodeIndex="5">Scientists have long remarked on the massive scale of this creature. C.R. McClain wrote on ScienceBlogs explained one theory for the size, that "deep-sea gigantism, for all crustaceans, is a consequence of larger cells sizes obtained under cold temperatures," citing a research paper from 1996.<DIV id=otherMedia class="related vertical"><DIV id=qu_story_2 class="ad qu">The 10-year Census of Marine Life plumbs the depths of the ocean, recently turning up a variety of outlandish deep-sea life.</DIV>

<DIV class="related a "><DIV class=img-container>Stunning images of the astonishingly rich and unusual variety of life in Antarctica's waters, from the British Antarctic Survey.</DIV>

</DIV></DIV><P nodeIndex="6">He also speculated that "in crustaceans, bathymetric gigantism may also in part reflect decreases in temperature leading to longer lifespans and thus larger sizes in indeterminate growers."<P nodeIndex="7">Responses to the original post ranged from the curious to the horrified.<P nodeIndex="8">One reader notes the connection between the isopod and a more familiar household pest: "The giant isopod is related to the "woodlouse"-- turns out this is the common bug that I grew up calling a "roly poly" or pillbug. Neat!"<P nodeIndex="9">Others were more disgusted with the crustacean. "I remember watching some documentary (Blue Planet maybe?) with a time lapse of these things swarming a whale carcass. it was horrifying," writes one reader. another<P nodeIndex="10">One reader saw nothing but dinner in the flesh of the behemoth bug, writing "It could be because I really like seafood, but those isopods look tasty. Land bugs = ew! Sea bugs = mm mmm good."

·
Registered
481 Posts
Those look exactly like the smaller isopods i find in the gill rakers of alot of fish(mostly bottom fish). They are nasty critters, sometimes they will have a sack on thier belly filled with hundreds of tiny babies. When you pop it you can see them crawling all over :sick. i kill them all!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts