Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Reel Insurance
3,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an older boat that has a little bit of teak as the foot placement areas for getting on and off the boat. They are a pain to keep up with. The boat is just a working boat. It fishes hard and parties hard. I want to replace the pieces with some starboard. Anyone done this with any success? I figure i will have to router the edges so as not to have super toe knockers. But is there enought texture to keep the material some what slip resistant? Thanks for any ifo you can give me.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You would need to cut some traction grooves since that stuff is more slippery than snot.

·
Tangle Master
3,310 Posts
Capt. Ken is right. It is very slippery although it is textured. Grooves will help. My boat is in the same predicament. I hate the upkeep associated with teak. I intend to replace it all with starboard. What about using a piece of composite decking planed down?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,177 Posts
I did the "traction grooves" before and depending on the shoes you're wearing or not, it doesn't work, if it's wet.
I used "KSC Super Grip" anti-slip tape, I flipped mine over, (putting the grooves down), then put the tape on.
It works great, it's even waterproof and oil resistant, and you can buy it in Black or Clear.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had to replace some rotted wood on my boat in the cabin. I went the path of the PVC/compsoite planks that you can get at home depot/lowes. MUCH cheaper than starboard but probably not as durable depending on the use. For what I needed it for it made sense. It looks great, won't rot, and functions fine as shelving.

Pan

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Can i find the KSC at a store like Lowes?
I believe Reynolds Hardware on Nine Mile has some "industrial strength"
adhesive/grit tape in stock.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
hey Matt, I dont know if they are bad and you want to start over with new ones but there is a guy on classic mako that has a cnc and does the teak stepsides I think he is doing some kind of composite as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts