Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Sorry, haven't had a chance to hop on the forum the last few days. Thanks for all the info though!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm a new deer hunter myself. I did a good bit of duck hunting growing up, but didn't hunt deer much until I moved down here. Blackwater is huge, and I know people talk about how crowded it is, but I honestly haven't run into that many people since I moved here in 2017. It was noticeably more "crowded" during Turkey season this year because of COVID though, and I'm sure that will affect this season. Just keep going if you see a vehicle there is plenty of space in the woods.

I imagine you already have hunter's safety done, and your WMA permit, hunting and deer permit? I think you have missed the cut off to get your quota permit for blackwater, but you can still hunt this year just read that brochure closely for the dates.

I use a saddle, but I agree with the sentiment that it's probably not best for a beginning hunter. It's a lot more to think about than a good climbing stand in my opinion. I've been through a good amount of training with ropes for climbing and accessing things for work so I was comfortable with it already. Now if you have a chance to test the system out a few times before you go in the woods I say go for it, you might like it but a decent climbing stand will get you in the woods quicker with less fuss. I'm a cheap skate so I don't spend a lot of money on camo. I have some halfway decent pants, but I honestly just rock Walmart shit for tops. It's hot down here during archery so I'm usually wearing a thin long sleeve and maybe a light jacket in the morning. I've been looking at maybe getting a nice jacket though. I wear rubber Lacrosse Snake boots year round because I usually end up walking through wet areas and there are plenty of snakes around.

You'll find the deer down here like thick creek bottoms and just generally thick areas, forget about hunting big open areas near edges. At least that's been my experience. A lot of awesome local knowledge on this forum.

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Depending on time of season. Early find oak trees and prrsimmon trees that are producing. Mid season go fishing and scouting, rut get on in open areas around creeks and fingers. 150-200 yards off. Bucks will be chasing does. Many people will say bucks dont chase here, thats false as Washington's teeth. There is a magical week to week and a half and they are everywhere. Late season. Keep watching the creeks and branches from a distance but getting closer to food sources. Gallberries are great. Most of all just go climb a tree and watch. Even if your on the side of the road. Then move in closer next hunt. Go squirrel hunting during the closed time and look for sign

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,855 Posts
Depending on time of season. Early find oak trees and prrsimmon trees that are producing. Mid season go fishing and scouting, rut get on in open areas around creeks and fingers. 150-200 yards off. Bucks will be chasing does. Many people will say bucks dont chase here, thats false as Washington's teeth. There is a magical week to week and a half and they are everywhere. Late season. Keep watching the creeks and branches from a distance but getting closer to food sources. Gallberries are great. Most of all just go climb a tree and watch. Even if your on the side of the road. Then move in closer next hunt. Go squirrel hunting during the closed time and look for sign

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Good advice here

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I'm a cheap skate so I don't spend a lot of money on camo.
/QUOTE]
Camo is way over rated anyway. Being still and having cover around you is way more important.
One item I forgot to mention which is almost as important as your weapon, especially in warm weather is a Therma Cell. I can remember the misery we endured back in the days before Therma Cells and I am very thankful for them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
+2 on the thermacell not sure how I forgot about that one. I always carry two with me just in case

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

41 - 49 of 49 Posts