Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I keep my boat in the water at a marina. I keep having a problem with ants getting in the boat, thousands of them. They are coming over on the mooring lines. Ant spray will knock them back but they are back in-force the next time I show up. I don't keep any leftover food on the boat. Anyone had this problem? How did you fix?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Termites can't crawl around in the open outside of their shelter tubes. Boats with termite problems are due to aerial infestations.

Some pesticides are illegal to use close to water and home depot pesticides are practically useless with next to none residual.

I would contact a pest control company that is familiar with the pesticide laws and has products that are effective in the long term. A insecticide spray for the whole yard will significantly knock down the population.

Edit: just realised you said marina. That would make it difficult to use a professional pest control service since its not your property. Try soaking the dock lines in some pesticide maybey

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These are 100% ants. I think sugar ants. I think I am just going to try some ant baits in the bilge. That should do the trick.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Somebody crammed a sack of Jelly donuts way up under the gunwale

The only way I found the problem was by laying down on the deck to see where those critters were going.

Check for Jelly donuts.

My best bug tale was a big red wasp nest in a cabinet over the head of one of my boats. A really hot chick went potty then realized there was no TP. I yelled down that there was extra TP in the locker above her. The wasps took exception to her fumbling close to their nest. I found out that day that with their drawers down around their ankles women have as much trouble as horses with hobbles. I also found out that a really cute bare bootie makes an excellent target for Red Wasps. In an emergency, modesty goes out the window.

·
Registered
968 Posts
The only way I found the problem was by laying down on the deck to see where those critters were going.

Check for Jelly donuts.

My best bug tale was a big red wasp nest in a cabinet over the head of one of my boats. A really hot chick went potty then realized there was no TP. I yelled down that there was extra TP in the locker above her. The wasps took exception to her fumbling close to their nest. I found out that day that with their drawers down around their ankles women have as much trouble as horses with hobbles. I also found out that a really cute bare bootie makes an excellent target for Red Wasps. In an emergency, modesty goes out the window.
I just love a happy ending !

·
Registered
14,721 Posts
I’ve had the same problem. Tried everything, eventually I sunk two post a little further than the width of the boat from the dock and just tie up to those. They will still run the extension cord if I forget to let it droop in the water

·
Registered
404 Posts
I’ve had the same problem. Tried everything, eventually I sunk two post a little further than the width of the boat from the dock and just tie up to those. They will still run the extension cord if I forget to let it droop in the water
Extension cord in the water!? Sounds like an electrocution setup, people swimming near it could die, I wouldn’t do that.

·
Registered
874 Posts
we were having a problem with sugar ants at our house/camp in al, little tiny suckers crawling around on the kitchen counter, i grabbed a spray bottle of mister clean to clean the counter.. that stuff killed them things instantly... i was amazed.. tried it several times... live ant became dead ant the instant you sprayed it...

rich

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,985 Posts
Hard to kill those little pests. They make a poison specifically for sugar ants. It comes in a small probably 3" long tube of paste. I can't recall where I bought mine, I'm thinking Lowe's. Anyway, put a small line of it wherever you see them. They're attracted to it, and all will soon die off. g/l

1 - 18 of 18 Posts