Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyway to remove it?? I like the look of the different color on the lower part of my boat but it is a pain to work around when washing or waxing. Thinking I would remove it and repaint the anti-fouling area with Awlgrip. Probably just a roller job.

Don't really see the use for Af paint since my boat stay's on the trailer.

Any thought's??

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
As your finding out.....Antifoul paint is agreat thing IF your boat sit's in the water.

If not.....Then actually it reduces the value of the boat. WHY? Because it is such a pain to remove.

Yes you can have it blasted off.....Have you seen the rough surface that it leaves? :(

My son and I spent 4 days under the Parker. We got 98 1/2% of it.....But it got 110% of us duck walking for 4 days.

Stripper and High pressure washer.

Using the Flounder boat so we could work at night.

We'll get the rest off this Spring.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I would check on having it "Soda" blasted instead of sand blasted or chemical removers. Like Bobby said, its a hell of a job to take on.

I have bottom paint on a trailered boat also. It is starting to look like crap and after reading these post, I think more bottom paint might be the best option. They do make make a White bottom paint that I will use instead of the black this time.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I used the aircraft stripper from west marine. Paint brush it on and pressure washer to take it off. As bobby said, it is a suck job and it looks awful underneath.
Pony up the dough to have it soda blasted. You will be glad you did. I don't think it is too expensive.
My buddies did a 37' boat with chemicals. Afterwards they heard about soda blasting. 5 of them (1 being the boat owner) said they would have dropped $100 each to "not" do that job again.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm thinking I'll use a belt sander to remove the heavier stuff and when the white starts showing I'll swap over to a orbital sander to finish the removal. Of course I'll have to prime to repair the Damage from the sander.

I don't know how much you can tell from my signature pic but only about the bottom 12" of my sponsons are covered so it's not like I'm doing a complete bottom job. I want to go back with black at the bottom, Just not the kind that rubs off every where.

Any one see a future problem with doing it this way??

X-Shark,..Whats your opinion on doing it this way??

I'm rolling it instead of spraying. Not really after the high gloss-Perfection look at the bottom. Just want a nice clean black color that stay's on one side of the line and white on the other.

·
stonecoldshooter
1,757 Posts
I talked to the 37' owner today. They didn't use chemicals. They used sanders and rolled the new bottom paint. They hated it. Although the job they did looks great (if that helps).
If it saves the money for you, go for it. I'm curious to know after you get done, if you'd do it again. It is tough work, but not impossible.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll take some pics tomorrow and do a start to finish post here.

I'm sure it's gonna suck but whata ya do. I'm kinda counting on not having to do the bottom of the sponsons being a big help.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
X-Shark,..Whats your opinion on doing it this way??
Don't do that.

Test it first with stripper...like we did. They did not sand the gellcoat on the Parker. They put a barrier coat and then the antifoul paint. Once this was stripped....The gellcoat was shiny. If you sand it.....It will not be.

Furthermore....Have you ever held a belt sander over your head? HeHe....Your arms will give out in 10min.

·
Premium Member
9,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bobby I tested a spot. Looks like they sanded mine before applying the bottom paint. Doesn't really matter though since I'm repainting anyway.

Looks like its pressure washer time. I'm hating this already.

·
Registered
5,682 Posts
Oh It's a PITA alright. :) But if your gonna repaint then the Soda blasting is a route you should look into.

Go by Pensacola Shipyard and look at a boat their working on. See if the texture finish is something you can live with.

I was trying to get the Parker slick for multiple reasons. Looks + Fuel mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts