Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Tournament Series Bottom Line fishfinder on my old boat. Boat is a 1992. Fishfinder is likely the same vintage.

It used to be top-of-the-line in its day. Had Loran, GPS, and fishfinder, complete with side sonar units.

Of course, loran has been discontinued.

My problem is that I dicovered one of my antennas is broken. It had a plastic base, and I guess some water accumulated in it and froze in the recent cold weather, which busted the plastic.

My question is: Was this the Loran antenna? (If so, I will just unhook it.)

Here are some pics. It had a wad of electronics in the base of it:

and here is a pic of what, i presume, is my gps antenna for this unit.....

I tried to look it up, and I found a replacement Loran module (Eagle ELC-1) for sale. I just wanted to confirm that this thing is only the loran, and not any part of the gps system.

Anybody know anything about these?

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
Yep.....That is a Loran antenna.

Call me when you get ready to get serious about a upgrade that you will not need to upgrade for a bunch of years and still not break the bank.

Bobby

Home # 455-0415

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!

As to upgrading, I was out there installing my "new" unit yesterday. It is a garmin 178 that I picked up used for $75, with all the parts. I will use it, and that old Bottom Line as redundent systems.

At least that gets me in this decade, right??? LOL

My co-workers say that they expect moths to fly out of my wallet in the few times they have seen it open up.....:poke

·
Registered
5,957 Posts
At least that gets me in this decade, right???

Maybe. Do you have the map chart for the Garmin? They are obsolete now and the only way to get one is used.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It came pre-loaded with a base map. I hope to use Mapsource Metroguide (which I have the original cd for; used it onmy 176c Garmin) to load my waypoints.

I do have to buy another memory card. I looked at the bluechart cards, but they are $200 for a preloaded card.

I will make do with the preloaded basemap. I wonder if Metroguide would run on that 178. I will have to research it and see. If so, I can load a mapset on the card, like I do on my 176c.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts