Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Don't we have a pest expert here?
Been fighting black ants for a week.
Put out Terro, seemed to knock them back a bit.
Looking up at recessed lights in ceiling, there's a bunch of them around a light.
They have been traveling thru the woodwork apparently.
Can't find mound outside so assuming the buggers are under the foundation.

Not sure if I should trust the companies stopping by that seem to just spray along the outside of house.
There's pictures I can post but will wait for reply.

Thanks.

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's shot of the Terro. They will feast for a bit then leave bait alone. The stuff they leave behind is wood bits and looks like paint.
They actually chewed thru a trap and made it leak.

Wood Flooring Gas Tints and shades Hardwood

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm trying to kill the nest but have already resorted to spraying the bottom of the baseboards with some Ortho stuff that leaves em on their back for fast relief.
Really not happy with the ceiling business.

Joey, bring some ammo, only have 500 rds 00 buck.
And beer, not cowpiss, beer.

ETA Drank too many real beers to climb ladder for picture of light ants.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Also Carpenter ant's like to live stumps or buried wood . If you have any around your house check and poison the the piss out of them. I have them everywhere around here they come in the shop but it's not really sealed and poison keeps them at bay there. They don't come in the house but its brick and concrete until upstairs so that might keep them out? The wife hates them with a passion they get in her humming bird feeder's she has declared war on the damn things lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
I fired my local pro after about a year because they really were not helping, kept coming when I was not home, and I think they were salting my place to keep coming back. I started doing it myself and even my wife has said we have had very rare incursions, since. I do not spray any poisons inside my house. I spend about $40 a year.
I first make sure all pine needles , branches, mulch and leaves are raked about two feet from the house. I use Bio Advanced Carpenter ant and Termite concentrate around the outside of the house, including in shrubs and tree trunks, and around all doors, windows and weep holes. I then sprinkle Bio Advanced Complete Insect Killer granules around the outside of the house And in the shrubs.
I also use boric acid on my garage floor about every 6 weeks, and if going away for over a week in front of all doors.
If I spot ants, or once a month, I wet a sponge and add several drops of original Dawn that I spread on counters and around outlets and windows in the kitchen. Ants don’t like dawn. Not sure if it is the smell, poisonous to them, or just sticky feet.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
Don't we have a pest expert here?
Been fighting black ants for a week.
Put out Terro, seemed to knock them back a bit.
Looking up at recessed lights in ceiling, there's a bunch of them around a light.
They have been traveling thru the woodwork apparently.
Can't find mound outside so assuming the buggers are under the foundation.

Not sure if I should trust the companies stopping by that seem to just spray along the outside of house.
There's pictures I can post but will wait for reply.

Thanks.
The pest expert is John B. Rockys pest control. He will kill all of them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to all.
There's no trail to follow, they disappear into the bottom of doorframes.
No visible mounds outside nor conga line trails leading into brick house. No wood or trees outside house.
The swarm around the recessed light has gone but that still means their under a couple feet of insulation.

I'll reach out to John B.

·
Jaded Old Phart
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just added to the College of Useless Knowledge I've been attending, Boric acid which supposed to kill the ants eventually is also used to kill yeast infections.

Black Sleeve Flash photography Style Black-and-white

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
Are you sure they are carpenter ants? You can tell by the little saws and levels they carry.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts